Austin, Texas Scanning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

F15Duke

Premium Subscriber
Recently got a BCD 396XT and have programmed TCSO and Austin Fire using Simulcast 1 and 2. Most reception is broken and I probably need an external antenna. The APD reception is very good using the city freqs. Any suggestions on programming or suggested antennas. Thanks

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Austin PD is a strong signal simulcast system and less antenna is probably in order. Uniden has a firmware update coming out that should help, as well. I found that successful reception of Austin/Travis is very location dependent. When I was there on a State gig, my residence was terrible but my office was exceptional and they were only five minutes apart. I found that the little race stubby came in handy in the bad location and the regular antenna worked well in the good location. YMMV. It is extremely frustrating.

Russell

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I agree with Russell on multiple accounts. Less antenna (the discontinued RS race stubby antenna especially) is usually the best medicine. The receiver overloads because the signal is so strong in places. It is very frustrating, but dealing with antennas is better than no scanning at all.

LFRfreak

I live in Bee Cave. My PRO-106 was having a rough time until I switched to the RS race stubby antenna. Reception isn't perfect, but it's a major improvement. Do you guys have any programming tips having to do with MultiSite mode, AGC, control channels, etc. to further boost reception?

Furthermore, does anyone monitor the system with a PRO-96? My PRO-96 seems deaf compared to my PRO-106.

Last edited:

rbarker

Robert
I scan with a Pro-96 and a Pro-2096 and they work fine. But it's just like the others said. You can move the antenna 2 inches and it makes a huge difference. For the handheld I use, the 800Mhz antenna that Radio Shack sells 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com For the base radio, I just use the antenna that came with it and i only have it extended about 6 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.