Authorities investigating disruptions of police radios, networks during protests: report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Personally, I’m waiting to see if the reverse comes true.

Yeah, me too. Probably only a matter of time.

There used to be a problem a few years back (who knows, maybe still is) with "cellular jammers". You could buy them on eBay and from overseas sources. They put out hash across 800MHz, 1900MHz, etc. and wipe out cellular phones in a small area.
There were some dumb a##es that thought it was there right to jam cell phones within a certain distance of themselves.
Even one guy who was running one in his car to combat distracted drivers.
Anyway, they got caught. One of the things that caught the eye was that 800MHz radios would crap themselves when these guys turned these things on. Some even impacted GPS signals.

FCC busted them and put out a notice. I think they busted a few sellers, too. Somewhere on my bulletin board at work I have the release from the FCC with an 800 number to report cellular/GPS jammers.

And so many of these things come from overseas where they just don't care what happens.
Then the really good ones come from right here in this country.

RFI-EMI-GUY

"If you’ve ever been near a presidential convoy, notice how your cell phone goes dead for a few minutes? "

Yup, twice. The celphone didn't work and the FM music radio was blocked with a high frequency buzz.

techman210

I’ve seen imported cellphone jammers take out control channels from Part 90 trunked radios in Law Enforcement vehicles.

They typically had a wideband oscillator with no frequency control or filtering.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve seen imported cellphone jammers take out control channels from Part 90 trunked radios in Law Enforcement vehicles.

They typically had a wideband oscillator with no frequency control or filtering.

Yup.

Had a cable TV system here take out aircraft comms on the approach channel for a very busy airport. FCC/FAA gave them a day or so to fix it, or pull the plug on the whole system. Cable TV companies can work pretty fast when they are properly motivated.

Para078

Who ever was interfering with the Dallas radios had just enough power to key the repeater. They were still able to use the channel. When I heard the DTMF tones I figured it wasn't a stuck mike, even though 531 kept telling everyone to check their mikes.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that Law Enforcement were going to use equipment to disrupt cell and other communications that help protesters communicate and organize their violent protests. Maybe a communications expert can elaborate if LEO has the ability to pick individual devices to Jam.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have heard that Law Enforcement were going to use equipment to disrupt cell and other communications that help protesters communicate and organize their violent protests. Maybe a communications expert can elaborate if LEO has the ability to pick individual devices to Jam.

We know that some law enforcement agencies have Stingray devices. Those can fake a cell site. Wouldn't be a stretch to say that they could fake a cell site and just dump all it's packets.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have heard that Law Enforcement were going to use equipment to disrupt cell and other communications that help protesters communicate and organize their violent protests.

And protesters are getting pretty savvy. All they'd need to do is set up a their own WiFi networks. Offloading off the cell networks and on to random internet connections would be a good work around.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Correction: Traxar.
I have never actually seen one of those in the wild. I know they were grey. Motorola made 2 tier radios a plum color that was high teir and a grey radio that was low tier. The radios were electrically identical.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yup!

I was listening to police communications here and they let it slipped they were "tapping" a targets Instagram.

Schwartzm9039

It may be up to our community to find these rogue sources. Who is better than us at detecting stray RF and EMF whether it be terrestrial, or intergalactic?

bharvey2

I recall that there used to be some kids toy available that could be used to muck up P25 communications. I don't recall the details but I thought that using them near a radio would prevent the radio from affiliating.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
This, and the tweet by high ranking officials accusing an old man with a cellphone of "interfering with public safety communications" will begin the discussion of migrating to "secure" controlled networks like FirstNet. Watch and see. Follow the money. Companies who's names end in "Solutions" stock will go up.
Nah, not any time soon. Austerity is coming.

State and local governments tax revenues are going to plummet this year. I suspect over the next 6 months we'll see plans shelved for new communications systems and upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.