• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Authorities warn of wireless cyber pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey420

STiMULi said:
It seams to cover email on your own system and data transfered to and from your system. But does it really cover someone using your access to transfer their own data. Then again why is data mining by private companies of our systems for marketing purposes not a Federal crime. If it were we would not need anti-spyware programs and such.

STiMULi

If you hack someones encryption it should be treated like making a key to their house.
ECPA covers attempted decryption of encrypted communications.

"(14) 'electronic communications
system' means any wire, radio,
electromagnetic, photooptical or
photoelectronic facilities for the
transmission of electronic
communications, and any computer
facilities
or related electronic
equipment for the electronic storage
of such communications;
"(15) 'electronic communication
service' means any service which
provides to users thereof the
ability to send or receive wire or
electronic communications;
"(16) 'readily accessible to the
general public'
means, with respect
to a radio communication, that such
communication is not---

"(A)scrambled or encrypted;

n4voxgill

Silent Key
An interesting news item.....

A Sheriff's office is deploying an "open WiFi patrol", where police
cars will be "war driving" to locate open WiFi access points and
warning computer users that their networks may be vulnerable to hackers.

Full text:
http://snipurl.com/sj0q

jeffrey420

n4voxgill said:
An interesting news item.....

A Sheriff's office is deploying an "open WiFi patrol", where police
cars will be "war driving" to locate open WiFi access points and
warning computer users that their networks may be vulnerable to hackers.

Full text:
http://snipurl.com/sj0q
No matter how many warnings you give people, some will still not heed the warning to protect their systems. They have warnings almost once a month in this area about leaving your garage doors open all the time. Even so I'm amazed at the number of garage doors left open all day long.

Also thanks to the info and links from STiMULi.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Napalm said:
I run WEP, MAC filtering, no SSID. In all honesty though, if there are any hardcore hackers/crackers in my neighbourhood, all that filtering and encryption will make him WANT to get in.

WEP can be cracked in a few seconds. The MAC filter is worthless since the MAC of any PC on your network can be seen with Kismet and then spoofed. "hidden" SSIDs can be seen with Kismet as well.

use WPA or WPA2 and use a GOOD password and you'll be fine.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
STiMULi said:
The average hacker is a dufus. The good ones and there are few, can hack just about anything.

You must take the basic steps to secure yourself.

How many of you do not use password protection to get into your PC?
Complex enough passwords?
WPA2?
MAC address resrictions?
SSID broadcast inhibit?
Elimnate unnecessary shares?
Basic Hardware/software firewalls?
Turn off your AP (wireless router) when not in use? [just kidding]
a true "hacker" does not harm anything and you'll never know he/she was there. people (propagated by the media) use the term "hacker" in so many negative ways. someone that is malicious is a criminal, not a hacker in the true sense of the word.

you can add one more layer of protection and install a RADIUS server.

jeffrey420

mike_s104 said:
a true "hacker" does not harm anything and you'll never know he/she was there. people (propagated by the media) use the term "hacker" in so many negative ways. someone that is malicious is a criminal, not a hacker in the true sense of the word.

you can add one more layer of protection and install a RADIUS server.
I would say I have to agree with Mike. A few years ago I was looking into some training in the IT field. They did say that you would be a class A hacker when you finished and passed the program. Remember "A few bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch", and we always seem to want to lump all into one group.

STiMULi

Forget about the origin of the word or what others like to call themselves.

The public at large and the Media :( call them hackers.

After that you are either White Hat or Black Hat.

slicerwizard

richster said:
I was, for a while anyways last year, trying not to share folders that have information of a personal nature. But this just pissed me off. A good instance of this, is when I was on my work computer one day and I needed to access "my personal phone book" to get a freinds phone number, I couldn't get it because it wasn't shared. So I had to go to my gaming and internet system to look it up. This made me steam and ask; "why have a LAN setup anyways, this is crap!".
No offence, but using Windows file sharing on a wireless network is dangerous and just asking for trouble. If you want to access files from other PC's, look in to secure remote access software. I don't have any specific packages to recommend, but others might. You could start by checking sourceforge.net and tucows.com

But I don't like the fact of law enforcement having devices put in their cars to go searching for insecure networks, I would think they have more pertaining matters to attend to.
And if you or I were to perform this public service by cruising around with NetStumbler, we'd be labelled as terrorists or pervs or thieves. And I love the slant on this subject - open access points will be used for evil! Never mind that most of us just use them to check our email when we're on the road or look up an address or some other equally nefarious activity.

richster

slicerwizard said:
No offence, but using Windows file sharing on a wireless network is dangerous and just asking for trouble. If you want to access files from other PC's, look in to secure remote access software. I don't have any specific packages to recommend, but others might. You could start by checking sourceforge.net and tucows.com
Thanks Andy. I'll look into that if I ever have a suprise guest again, but so far my new wireless router with WPA is doing the trick. I don't want to spend more money on a new software package if I don't have to. I'm trying (hard as it has been) to save money for a new digital scanner.

Regards,
Richster.

Status
Not open for further replies.