Auto CB antenna quick disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

radmanrugg

I searched the forums but could not seem to find a good post. My appologies if I missed a post.

I have a new Firestik Firefly 4' antenna mounted on a stainless spring and bracket on my Austrian military truck for CB radio use. The spring seems to work great for branches when I go 4x4ing but going in and out of my garage I think I might want to have a quick disconnect just to avoid any possible damage to the antenna.

So is there a quick disconnect that can take the abuse of the antenna coming into contact with trees once in a while?

I am usually driving less than 10 MPH when I do hit trees. The spring allows 90 deg of bend. The antenna was mounted on the side of my cab where there is the only exposed metal mounting position (rest of the truck is covered in fabric). I kept the spring below the roofline but most of the antenna above it for the best reception / transmission. I was able to get a SWR very close to 1 in this position but still allow full antenna bend over below the full truck height.

The brands I have seen on the internet that seem promissing are
RoadPro / Truckspec (look the same)
Firestick
Hustler

I am open to other brands as well.

Maybe the spring good enough also. I could tie it down with some cord but that has some mounting difficulties of its own due to the fabric and access I need to the side of the truck.

All thoughts / experiences / input welcome.

While I am thinking of it I better get a height of the thing so I can watch for low bridges. That would not be good.

Thanks
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.