• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Auto Email Forwarding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Hello,

I have a question for you techies.

I want to receive emails on one account and it forward that same email automatically to several seperate accounts. Kinda like what Yahoo Groups do for those signed up for individual emails.

For instance someone sends me a message to fake@email.com and the email automatically goes to numerous (up to 20 or 30) other emails in an address list.

I have Mozillla Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Yahoo Mail and GMail.

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

thanks,

matt

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Hello,

I have a question for you techies.

I want to receive emails on one account and it forward that same email automatically to several seperate accounts. Kinda like what Yahoo Groups do for those signed up for individual emails.

For instance someone sends me a message to fake@email.com and the email automatically goes to numerous (up to 20 or 30) other emails in an address list.

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

thanks,

matt

what is your primary email client? in most, like Groupwise and Outlook, you can create a rule. it would be something like "all mail received with specified email address automatically forward it to this address" you can general it specific. attached is an example in Outlook 2003

Last edited:

safetyobc

Thank you.

I can use any of the email, Yahoo (free), Yahoo business, gMail, Outlook and Thunderbird. I am just now setting this up.

Also can it forward to more than 1 email? I would like it to forward to many emails. Also the incoming email could be more than 1, and would most likely be up to 15.

So basically people email me and the email sends it to the "group" just like a Yahoo Group. I don't use Yahoo groups because it has several cell phone emails and we don't want them spammed.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Thank you.

I can use any of the email, Yahoo (free), Yahoo business, gMail, Outlook and Thunderbird. I am just now setting this up.

Also can it forward to more than 1 email? I would like it to forward to many emails. Also the incoming email could be more than 1, and would most likely be up to 15.

So basically people email me and the email sends it to the "group" just like a Yahoo Group. I don't use Yahoo groups because it has several cell phone emails and we don't want them spammed.
yeah, you should be able to specify more then one email account to have it sent to. are you planning on leaving your PC up and running the entire time? the way I mentioned was only if the PC is on and Outlook running.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
THANK YOU!

It works great!

MATT
no problem. I was asking if the PC was going to stay on and connected because you could use something like remote desktop of VNC to remotely access the PC via the internet while you're gone.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
what OS are you using? are you using a broadband internet connection like DSL or cable? are you using a hardware or software firewall? does your IP stay the same? I use remote desktop to my server at home all the time. from there, I can remote into any PC in the house as long as I have an internet connection at home and the power is on.

safetyobc

mike_s104 said:
what OS are you using? are you using a broadband internet connection like DSL or cable? are you using a hardware or software firewall? does your IP stay the same? I use remote desktop to my server at home all the time. from there, I can remote into any PC in the house as long as I have an internet connection at home and the power is on.
So I will have to leave my home PC on?

I am using Windows XP. DSL T1, software firewall, I assume the IP stays the same?

safetyobc

It is a modem.

If it needs to stay on, then i can simply leave Outlook Express on and turn off the monitor and allow it to run that way. I have outlook checking for new messages every 2 minutes.

So remote access won't be needed I don't think. Thanks for the help.

safetyobc

safetyobc

Okay, now that it is working,

Is there a way to close the Outlook Express window and have it still actively checking and forwarding emails? For instance maybe put it in the system tray? Or a way for the window not to be on screen (or at the bottom on the taskbar?)

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
flyingwolf is possibly right. I don't know of a way. you may want to check your ISP. I know that with my Adelphia account, I can login to the webclient and set a forwarder like you are looking for. if your ISP allows that as an option, you wouldn't even have to leave the PC on.

safetyobc

Well that was a huge disaster!

I had several people on the system. An alert was sent to the email address. It forwarded the message individually just like it was supposed to.... Then, all of a sudden the email sent mass Failure Notices to all address. It sent like 3 failure notices to each address. Needless to say those with cellular phones that had joined the system were not happy!

I'm scrapping the email idea. Any other ideas? Yahoo Group won't work.

Thanks!

Im trying to set up an auto forward thing myself and I cant get it to work. Firstly my primary email provider is apparently not supported by outlook, at least not that I've been able to find.

Second, I tried setting it up with a hotmail account, but when I clicked on the rules wizard it gave me an error message stating that HTTP mail servers such as hotmail and Yahoo would not be influenced by any rules created. Please try again with another type of email account.

safetyobc

Outlook works....kinda. Only when sending to a cell phone, it comes in about 3 or 4 messages. Even a message that says "Test" comes in different messages. I assume the "Subject" is one message, then the body is the 2nd message, then if you have a signature set on a Yahoo, gmain or similar account, you get 2 more messages containing your signature.

It just isn't what I wanted it to be.

Actually I've found that I no longer require the forwarding service, the messages Im looking to forward have a carbon-copy setting so I can just have 2 messages sent instead. Of course that will cost about $12 a month, so Im not quite sure if I'll be doing that yet.

rickak

safetyobc said:

You really need to do this on the server side, not the client side. Check with your ISP to see if they offer this service, or find an ISP that does.

Or...

Why not create a Yahoo Group, it's free isn't it?

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.