Auto Train P052-13 mobile scanner feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I'm taking Auto Train P052-13 tomorrow northbound and if everything works as planned I will be streaming my railroad scanner from the train.

Here's the listen link:
http://colostreaming.com:8000/botemobile.m3u

They don't pull north until 16:00 (or maybe a few minutes early) so you won't hear anything before then. When I run out of range of my air card's broadband data network in the boondocks the feed will obviously disappear until I enter the next coverage area, so check back from time to time.

I've been looking on and off all day, but I just can't find any application that will take my GPS coordinates and publish them on Google maps or Bing maps for you to track the Auto Train as we go up the A-line. Oh well, maybe next year.

Bote

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking on and off all day, but I just can't find any application that will take my GPS coordinates and publish them on Google maps or Bing maps for you to track the Auto Train as we go up the A-line. Oh well, maybe next year.

Bote
http://gpsgate.com/
http://franson.com/gpsgate is the link for the app

I set up a tracking site as a demo here
http://www.driversdailylog.com/ddltracker.html

there is a small amount of code but on gpsgate.com you can set it up pretty easily

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I like it, it's cool. Heard a CSX detector@ MP 501.8 at 17:30 pst

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Autotrain PO52-13 mobile scanner feed

Just picked up: CSX Equipment Defect Detector@MP:482.5 Track-1 (No Defects) just before the feed signal was lost at: 8:51PM Sunday. Botes probably eating dinner right now.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned

52 passing unknown CSX S/B freight reporting good flashing EOT & CSX reports good Markers for 52. 52 then reports "clear signal" track 2 past single track at: 11:19PM Sunday.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned

CSX equipment defect detector@MP:359.5 reports (No Defects) & 160 total axle count for 52 at: 11.29PM Sunday.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned

CSX equipment defect detector@ MP:336.2 reports (No Defects) axle count: 160 total & 52 reports medium clear signal at: 11:51PM Sunday.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Autotrain PO52-13 mobile scanning feed

52 reports clear of South Lake City at: 12:04AM Monday.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned

CSX equipment defect detector@MP:314.3 reports (No Defects) w/axle count:160 total & unknown S/B CSX freight reports to 52 that he has a clear shot to MP:312. at: 12.10AM Monday.

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Autotrain PS52-13 mobile scanner feed

52 conducter to head end: What am I running under? Engineer replies: your running under either 74 or 174. Then 52 reports N/B clear of signal at Carson at: 4:46AM on Monday Transmissions were fairly garbled. Crew change in the Carolinas maybe?

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned

52 reports main track clear at North Carson at: 5:01AM Monday

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Well, somebody had fun anyway. :)

Most of the data coverage was EDGE which is substantially narrower bandwidth, but that's why I run a 16kbps feed. It can squeeze through a pretty narrow pipe. Still, it was less than satisfactory coverage for my taste. Apparently the frequent dropouts confused the daylights out of my Icecast server. MichaelJY on Carolinarails mailing list was hearing things 15-30 minutes after they were spoken on the radio. Normally the latency is between 10 and 30 SECONDS under ideal conditions.

I'll try the similar thing from my 'mobile railfanning platform' when I return south to Florida next week. Although I will have more control over where I am. If there is a good meet and I can find a sweet spot for the air card, then I can hang around to witness it and stream the audio.

I sure hope I can come up with some automated way for my laptop to publish my location. That Google Latitude thing was OK, but I had to update my position manually which is ridiculous in 2009. My GPS new where I was the whole time.

Thanks for the reports.

FLRAILMAN

Banned

Is this your first ride on Autotrain? I love it so much, I am now up to 4 rides annually to Lorton & drive over to Union Station & catch the Metroliner to Penn. Station in Noo Yawk to visit the family. If you haven't done it yet, go to the dining car around 2:30AM & chat with the conducter & crew, they are very friendly, just get them started on how great you think Amtrak is & watch out, you will hear the real BLE & UTU rank & file deal. No tape recorders though, they will pitch you off the train at speed.

Auto Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FLRAILMAN

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I have ridden the Auto Train probably 8 times and I have chatted with the A.C. in the lounge with his paperwork strewn all over the table. This time I overheard the attendant and A.C. discussing their love of their jobs and coworkers right outside my cabin door while we were sitting in the station. :)

Super nice guy, though, very helpful. I didn't partake of the facilities outside of dinner. I just holed up in my cabin conversing on the laptop when it had coverage and planning other railfanning outings on my local map when it didn't.

If you really want a hoot you should listen to the ground crew as they prepare the train each afternoon. Those guys are like a well-oiled machine and you can tell they really enjoy their jobs, some light-hearted chatter back and forth. They do the same thing every day so it helps to do it with good humor.

Hey! I just got another idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.