BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Automated conventional logging setup? Any guidance?

d119

Patch & Channels Clear...
Hi all,

Apologies up front as I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times here already.

I recently came across a thread here on the forums where a gent is logging VHF-Lowband traffic, both audio and frequency, but my understanding is he's doing it manually.

I have all of the equipment for this (BCD996P2, PC, cables, Diamond CP610 ground plane), and I'd like to do exactly the same thing, but automated. I'm curious what can be heard from my place on VHF-Lowband when I'm not around. The antenna has been set up for years and lives connected to my Syntor X9000 LB radio. When the bands are in, it works great, so I'm hoping it'll hear quite a bit.

My requirements:

1. Automated logging of timestamp, frequency and associated audio. It would be nice if PL/DPL could be logged as well, but not critical.
  2. Ability to scan a band range (i.e. 26MHz - 50MHz)
  3. Ability to lock out certain frequencies within that range (in other words, I don't want it logging nearby stuff I'm already fully aware of, i.e. water district, etc.)
Is there a software package that can accomplish all of this? It would be neat to check in on it in the evenings and see what kind of distant stuff it picked up without having to supervise it, or sort through local stuff.

Appreciate any input! I'm from the public safety communications sector, so I'm not familiar with scanner stuff and more specifically setting this kind of logging up. I'm certain this has been done before and several of you will chime in with "oh yeah, we've done that for years..."

d119

Patch & Channels Clear...
Excellent - I'll check that out! I was initially looking at the BuTel pro version, but with a free trial, I'll give ProScan the first shot. So it will allow me to skip known frequencies during an edge-to-edge band scan? And it will dump the associated audio to files on the PC?

Does it require a separate audio cable from the scanner to the PC, or does it pull that off the USB link?

Last edited: