Automated License Plate Readers question

Blackink

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an Automated License Plate reader.....

I watch Live PD every once in a while and sometimes they get a hit on a stolen car by the license plate. What I don't know is do the police have to enter a suspicious vehicles license plate number manually to find out if it's a stolen vehicle or do they have automated license plate readers in their cars so when it reads a license plate and the DMV database has it listed as a stolen vehicle, it comes back as such??

Thanks, Steve

RDGDigital

This video offers a good explanation of how they work. In short, it's completely automatic and the police officer doesn't have to enter anything.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
Many toll roads (and a new bridge by me) have no human booths anymore, just readers. So they are reliable and are here to stay. I recently got a red light ticket in Chicago and the letter said the offending incident video had been reviewed by a human. My question about the cops is it would seem like the entire license database must be in the police car's computer. There's no way to scan, read, transmit, check, and receive 1000 plates/ minute. You have no right to photographic privacy when in public so a license plate is no different.