Automated scanner logging software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackinstack

Can someone point me in the right direction on this?

I would like to setup my Icom R20 to scan a range of freq. and have my laptop automatically log the signals that it finds within those ranges. I have found "logging" programs, but they seem more inline with HAM contesting.

Is there software out there that does this? or am I asking the wrong question? (ie... I should be going about this a different way)

My goal is to automate the process of finding commonly used freqs. within any given range in my general area. Ideally I would like it to be automated and can scan all day long while I'm at work.

If it can't be done with the R20. Is there a better combo of hardware/software...

Thanks!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm not sure what software exists to do this for the IC-R20, if any, but a look at the R20 page in the Wiki will provide links to software.

A great combination to do what you want to do is ProScan software or BCTool software with any of the modern Uniden scanners. I use this combination regularly to record and playback audio from unattended logging sessions. Logs include the frequency and/or talkgroup and subaudible tones (CTCSS, DCS) which is very handy for helping to ID unknowns. You'll find info and links to both of the aforementioned programs in these forums and in the Wiki.

Best of luck!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There isn't much for the R20, that's for sure - although it MIGHT be possible to get RadioMax to talk to the R20 using R10 settings....however I wouldn't use the R20 for searching- the search speed is simply too slow even with RadioMax juicing things up a little.

To expand a little on this topic - as Scott mentioned, ProScan and BCTool work with the Uniden DMA scanners; however there are other packages that are specific for certain radios. We have a decent listing of such software here...

Recording Software and Tips - The RadioReference Wiki

It should be noted that while the newer RS/GRE scanners can now scan/record, older ones - those prior to the PRO-106 and before, such as the PRO-97, 96, 95, 93, 92, .2055 and 2053 series - cannot. It's simply not in the firmware to do it. The lone exception is the PRO-2052. Be aware of this when you are trying to get a scanner for logging/searching operations.

73 Mike

Last edited:

hackinstack

Thanks for the input everyone... I did some searching and found that the R20 has 100ch/sec scan speed. This seems to be on-par with some of the Uniden scanners. is this not accurate?

I downloaded the SysLabs RadioControl program (mentioned on the wiki in the R20 section) and it seems to be working OK for now. I would definitely like to find a method for faster scanning and the ability to record...

Thanks for the input everyone... I did some searching and found that the R20 has 100ch/sec scan speed. This seems to be on-par with some of the Uniden scanners. is this not accurate?

I downloaded the SysLabs RadioControl program (mentioned on the wiki in the R20 section) and it seems to be working OK for now. I would definitely like to find a method for faster scanning and the ability to record...

Dont think this will work with the r20 but if you have access to one of the scanners that will work with this could be the answer ur looking for and it's free! I use it and I find that it does a nice job logging and catagorizing all the hits.

ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN! It's called freeScan Hope that helps

diggerodell

Logging and Recording Software

is there a Logging and Recording Software that will work with bcd536hp and 8.1 windows
thanks
kx1h

Status
Not open for further replies.