Automatic antenna tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If it's just for receive, why spend money you don't need on a tuner? This has been hashed and rehashed over and over here on this site.

Also, the AH-4 is for wire antennas, this is coax fed. You'd need something akin to the AT-180 IF you decide to transmit on it.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Also, a tuner has to be driven by a transmitter to tune to a frequency. In the Icom lines case, it gets band info from the radio to give it an idea of where to start, and the 10 watts out from the radio allows it to find the best combination to try to tune the antenna.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 With Gene above. So many do not understand how a tuner works. When you transmits, you adjust the tuner to match antenna to the transmitter. When receiving, the tuner just sits there doing nothing.
If you cut a wire to the frequency length, you'll be doing good.
For antenna length: 1/2 wave length is = 468/Frequency in Mhz
Example: say for 10 meters at 28.400
468 devided by 28.400, thus the antenna length would be ~ 16.4789 feet long.

Full wave length use: 936/Freq (Mhz)
1/4 wave length use: 234/Freq (Mhz)

Last edited:

Quebec337

Well guys.....I'm a newby, and at this stage, I'm just doing what I've been told to do, and what I've been told to have in terms of equipment. So the antenna will be enough :) Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
We aren't trying to be mean.. just teach you a little.. we were all there once. Hope the antenna performs well for ya.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
Certainly the antenna will be enough - a well-designed Windom (aka 'Carolina Windom"/OCFD/ and other things) will perform well on all the ham bands as they are mostly harmonically related - 80m, 40m, 20m, 10m, etc and the 'in between' bands 30m, 25m are covered in a good design. I have an OCFD of random length as it fits in my yard, about 45 feet and 22 feet, with a 9:1 transformer at the feed point - I only use it for receiving only and I certainly don't hear any 'flat spots'. I'd like a longer one to get down to the BC band and even lower for the NDB's but - hey, that's life.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
+1 With Gene above. So many do not understand how a tuner works. When you transmits, you adjust the tuner to match antenna to the transmitter. When receiving, the tuner just sits there doing nothing.

I agree with you guys that you will be fine receiving without a tuner. However, the above quote is not true. A tuner also works when you are receiving. That is why when you change frequencies the first thing you do with an automatic tuner is hit the tune button. If using a manual tuner without a transmitter you can adjust it for max noise in the receiver to get in the ballpark.

An off-frequency antenna that say presents a 3db loss to the transmit signal presents that same 3db loss to the receive signal, it is just you are not at risk of damaging anything if not transmitting. Tuners do work in the receive mode. Antennas are cut to length (or tuned) for both the benefit of the transmitter and receiver.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Also, from the website the OP posted:

"With the BUXCOMM Windom, NO Antenna tuner is needed: There are several reasons for not using an antenna tuner, one of which allows you to change bands faster and be the first to get the DX."

Status
Not open for further replies.