Automatic startup of ScannerCast

Status
Not open for further replies.

julienmason

I would like ScannerCast to automatically load and start broadcasting if there is an unattended reboot of my computer. I have the program in my StartUp directory and it does load as expected. However, it looks like it will only start broadcasting the feed when a user chooses that option.

How do I set up an automatic start of the feed -- preferably minimized on my screen?

Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
I would like ScannerCast to automatically load and start broadcasting if there is an unattended reboot of my computer. I have the program in my StartUp directory and it does load as expected. However, it looks like it will only start broadcasting the feed when a user chooses that option.

How do I set up an automatic start of the feed -- preferably minimized on my screen?

Thanks.

One way you can do that is if the program offers command line options to start running a command when started. There are programs that attempt to press buttons and perform functions in Windows programs, but I haven't had good success using them.

Often programs with command line options will run like this:

programname.exe /start /broadcast /min

Which you could edit into the Start menu item in windows explorer.
Contact the program's author to see if it is supported.

I know there are command line programs for use with broadcasting audio to the internet that do support autostart options.

PeterGV

K1PGV
On the "Advanced" tab, click "Resume Broadcast on Restart"

To stat minimized click "Start Minimized" and "Minimize to System Tray"

Set the options you choose, and click "Start Broadcast" -- When ScannerCast starts broadcasting (successfully), it saves the options you used to start it.

Subsequent restarts (from your Windows Startup group) will use these options.

Peter
K1PGV

Last edited:

chip448

Feed Provider
Hello,
I have 4 instances of ScannerCast running on my PC, and simply adding the.exe files to the StartUp menu does not work. That method gives me an error message involving the .net framework after starting the PC up. I can, however, start them manually, and they work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

chip448

Feed Provider
After several hours of trial-and-error, I have figured out how to get the program(s) to auto-load on startup. The problem was the shortcut in the startup menu wasn't pointing to the proper directory. I re-did the shortcuts within the Startup folder, and volia! Now it works as it should.

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
I too am having a hard time getting the program to start on a restart of the desktop. I followed the instructions in the wiki, but it still comes up to the run button and when I hit that I still am getting the error. It is on a Win 7 machine, and I have the .exe file in the startup file. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Joe

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I too am having a hard time getting the program to start on a restart of the desktop. I followed the instructions in the wiki, but it still comes up to the run button and when I hit that I still am getting the error. It is on a Win 7 machine, and I have the .exe file in the startup file. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Joe
I dunno if I'm lucky or just weird (probably both), but I got it to work in one of my machines, but not the other, by putting "only" a SHORTCUT (pointing to the actual .exe file) in the startup file. Both are Windoze 7 Pro machines from Dell..

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
Ok thanks for the tip. I was wondering if I should try that and I will. Thanks again.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Sorry to bring up a older thread but I found a small glitch with my feed computer, which is running windows XP, and it may be related to what you have. I also have a resolution to it.
With the XP machine, I found that the Scannercast software was starting and trying to establish a connection before the computer's network card made a connection, so it would sit there waiting for you to hit the button to start the stream again. I found that by delaying the startup of scanner-cast, it doesn't have the issue. (There are 3rd party programs that can delay start times, and I am sure you could run a scheduled task to launch it, however I just built a simple command file that runs a time-delayed ping then launches the software). Again, you may have resolved the issue by now but someone might find this helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.