Availability of API docs for a Radio Shack Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal_Lake_Scanner

Feed Provider
I recently picked up a Pro-197 scanner (clearance at a local Radio Shack!) and was interested in developing a Java application to manage it (mainly because there doesn't appear to be any free software options), however after some searching, I wasn't able to find any API information that would explain what I'm sending/receiving via the COM port.

Does this documentation exist someplace?

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a Pro-197 scanner (clearance at a local Radio Shack!) and was interested in developing a Java application to manage it (mainly because there doesn't appear to be any free software options), however after some searching, I wasn't able to find any API information that would explain what I'm sending/receiving via the COM port.

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win500/Win500 Remote Control.pdf

brscanning

GRE (maker of the scanner) does not publish this. You either have to hack it or sign a non-disclosure agreement with GRE.

n5ims

This is how to communicate with the Win500 remote service, not with the scanner itself. The OP may be able to use this for what they want or not depending on what they want to accomplish.

GRE (maker of the scanner) does not publish this. You either have to hack it or sign a non-disclosure agreement with GRE.

The problem here is that GRE is no longer around so three's nobody there to provide the agreement to sign nor send you the documentation once any agreement was signed. Now you may be able to accomplish something with Whistler since they now own the GRE IP for the scanner line.

Crystal_Lake_Scanner

Feed Provider
The problem here is that GRE is no longer around so three's nobody there to provide the agreement to sign nor send you the documentation once any agreement was signed. Now you may be able to accomplish something with Whistler since they now own the GRE IP for the scanner line.

Right, I'm actually looking at how to communicate with it via the PCIF port, send keystrokes, download and upload config, etc (essentially what those paid apps allow you to do).

The link I posted above refers to page 115 here, if that's any help:

http://www.greamerica.com/download/manuals/PSR-500v1.3_Manual.pdf

Thanks, this will be helpful. Seems to give a bit more information. I might have to look at capturing the data between one of the existing applications and scanner. Why they would keep this info under lock n' key is crazy, especially on a discontinued product.

I also found this Java library (https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/galenapsr/index.php?title=Main_Page), though sadly, it appears abandoned. I sent a message to the author, just in case.

I'll continue to play with what I've found so far. Any other information is welcome.

Crystal_Lake_Scanner

Feed Provider

In this manual, it says the following -- http://www.greamerica.com/download/manuals/PSR-500v1.3_Manual.pdf

GRE provides Memory File Format, CCDump Protocol, PC/IF Clone Protocol and Remote Control Protocol Specifications (the "Specifications") AS IS for the convenience of scanning hobbyists and programmers who wish to develop software applications for use with the PSR-500. Use of the Specifications shall be AT YOUR OWN RISK. GRE does not provide Memory File Format, CCDump Protocol, PC/IF Clone Protocol and Remote Control Protocol technical support. Should you require assistance with the Specifications, we encourage you to visit one of the many PSR-500 User Group forums on the Internet. By using the Specifications, you agree to these terms.

Perhaps these are the extent of the specifications available from GRE. It should be enough to play around a bit. I sent an email to Whistler, but I'm not expecting a response.

What would be the policy of posting something like that here? Someone must have it and for a product that's been discontinued and a company that doesn't exist (well, in it's old form) -- it would allow hobbyists to continue to build software for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.