Aviation Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansmall

I've asked this question previously and received either ambiguous answers or answers that insult my intelligence but, I'm ready for more abuse so....

Is there somewhere there somewhere that I can download all of the aviation frequencies (tower, ground, approach, departure etc) in one shot rather than programming my SDS100 manually?

Thanks

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Actually, nationwide. I do work for FEMA and travel the country. Even regional or state would be OK, then I can pick and choose.
That would be quite the list. I think it would best to find those frequencies in the database before your travels.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is there somewhere there somewhere that I can download all of the aviation frequencies (tower, ground, approach, departure etc) in one shot rather than programming my SDS100 manually?

For the entire country? I've never seen a list for the entire country, if one exists in FAA database you'd have to reformat it to be in the import format for your scanner, and then there would be a lot of duplicates.

Try this site for FAA Airport data downloads

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
@dansmall, just thinking out loud here... If you had a GPS unit installed and since you are a Premium Subscriber, with the SDS100 set to just Aeronautical, would that do it? Note that I don't have a SDS100 and have never had a GPS unit but I'm wanting somebody to help me here with a little creativity to solve a huge database problem. Anybody?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so where in the database?

The SDS100 should already have the entire Nation wide Radio Reference Database for everything including aircraft already downloaded on the Micro SD card. Under Service Types select Aircraft.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've asked this question previously and received either ambiguous answers or answers that insult my intelligence but, I'm ready for more abuse so....

Thanks
The SDS100 should already have the entire Nation wide Radio Reference Database for everything including aircraft already downloaded on the Micro SD card. Under Service Types select Aircraft.

If the systems you want are in the database, you can easily append them in Sentinel to a Favorites list.

I'm using my county, Dallas, for an example.
"Common Aviation" can be found in the "Nationwide" folder for any county in the country.

In the "Statewide" folder for any county, you'll see the ARTCC sectors that cover any parts of the state in question.

If you look at the County folder, you'll find listings for the airports in the county,
In my case, while, for Dallas County, you see the individual airports listed, in Tarrant County (and probably counties in other areas) you just see a category Airports, which encompasses all the fields in the county.
Probably, you would be better off using either a GPS, or changing locations manually, rather than trying to assemble every last field you might encounter.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
@dansmall, just thinking out loud here... If you had a GPS unit installed and since you are a Premium Subscriber, with the SDS100 set to just Aeronautical, would that do it? Note that I don't have a SDS100 and have never had a GPS unit but I'm wanting somebody to help me here with a little creativity to solve a huge database problem. Anybody?
I have the GPS set on my 536 and it has all the aircraft frequencies for the entire country and Canada. I am a truck driver and use it all the time

dansmall

If the systems you want are in the database, you can easily append them in Sentinel to a Favorites list.

I'm using my county, Dallas, for an example.
View attachment 89203
"Common Aviation" can be found in the "Nationwide" folder for any county in the country.

In the "Statewide" folder for any county, you'll see the ARTCC sectors that cover any parts of the state in question.
View attachment 89204

If you look at the County folder, you'll find listings for the airports in the county,
View attachment 89205
In my case, while, for Dallas County, you see the individual airports listed, in Tarrant County (and probably counties in other areas) you just see a category Airports, which encompasses all the fields in the county.
View attachment 89206
Probably, you would be better off using either a GPS, or changing locations manually, rather than trying to assemble every last field you might encounter.
I've been that route but 99.9 % of the frequencies that I know are not in that part of the database

dansmall

I think that the problem is that the database is lacking. It appears that none of the regional ATC center frequincies are there nor are most of the tower and ground frequencies for major airports like SFO and LAX

K4EET

Chaplain
I have the GPS set on my 536 and it has all the aircraft frequencies for the entire country and Canada. I am a truck driver and use it all the time
That's what I was thinking! I have been disabled for over 15 years and no longer travel so I needed somebody like you to help me out here. Could you please tell @dansmall if you think the Uniden BCD536HP with a GPS using the downloaded database (which is updated weekly) is a decent combination for monitoring the Aircraft Band. Do you have a feel for how good the database is as you travel around the country with the GPS constantly "refocusing" your area of interest? Thanks for chiming in!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think that the problem is that the database is lacking. It appears that none of the regional ATC center frequincies are there nor are most of the tower and ground frequencies for major airports like SFO and LAX
They are there. You apparently are not looking in the areas I suggested.

Open Los Angeles County in the main database (under California).
Now, for LA County, look at what is covered in the Statewide folder:
Now, go to the County folder for Los Angeles County.

The "Airports" category has all the smaller airports in the county.

LAX is listed separately, farther down in the "County Systems" folder:
SFO is listed in the "Airports" category in the San Mateo "County Systems folder:
If you open the "Statewide" folder under San Mateo, you'll find the ARTCC sector listings, just like they are under that folder for Los Angeles County.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's what I was thinking! I have been disabled for over 15 years and no longer travel so I needed somebody like you to help me out here. Could you please tell @dansmall if you think the Uniden BCD536HP with a GPS using the downloaded database (which is updated weekly) is a decent combination for monitoring the Aircraft Band. Do you have a feel for how good the database is as you travel around the country with the GPS constantly "refocusing" your area of interest? Thanks for chiming in!
A BCD536HP (or BCD436HP), with a GPS, and the range and service types set correctly, would cover aircraft frequencies nationwide.

There may be a few smaller airports not listed, but all the majors should be, if you look at the correct location in the database.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber

Thanks
I use the BCD536HP as a truck driver and I keep the database updated every week and with the GPS on it it works great for all Aircraft frequencies. Even the smaller airports i receive. And if you use the close call when near the airport that works as well. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.