Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Has anyone bought this ~ https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/aviation-airband-118-128-mhz-j-pole-antenna/

I was thinking about buying one. But before I do, I want everyone's opinion on it.

How big of an improvement is it over the standard scanner antennas that come with the scanners?

I guess my overall question would be: reception quality improvements over the default antenna with scanners.

Yes, I do know the environment places a huge factor. Such as where you put it, height, etc...

So I guess I should put in here where I plan to use it as well, so that way it can help.
IF I do buy this aviation J-Pole antenna. (Based on opinions here) I will be keeping it INSIDE the house, on a 2nd floor building, near a window.
Yes, I know if I put it outside and higher, it will work better. But I am restricted :(

Look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on the aviation J-Pole antenna!
Aviation (Airband) 118 – 128 MHz J-Pole Antenna | KB9VBR J-Pole Antennas

nd5y

It's not worth $46. Why would anybody buy an "aviation band" antenna which is advertised as not even covering the whole 118-137 MHz aviation band?
You could build a simple ground plane or dipole that would work better and not have the issues that J-poles do.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
No reason it couldn't be used inside the house however like any antenna outside would definitely perform much better. It's 6' 6" tall and should be located away from metallic objects indoors such as metal studs, pipes, air ducts, aluminum window frames, metallic screens, ceiling fans/lights, floor lamps etc. If your goal is to receive airports and not just aircraft it should be mounted on top of a tower or a mast on your roof. The bandwidth of a J-Pole is not real wide and this particular design claims to cover 118-126MHz. The entire VHF air band is 108-136MHz. The designer claims he can tune/optimize it to a particular center frequency upon request. It should definitely perform than the stock antenna that is supplied with any scanner. It does not cover any of the UHF military aircraft band.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I use the J-Ploe for public service they work well even on( Air) copper is great for reception its at 25ft mounted on PVC I have two.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have used two different j pole designs on 2 meters for years and have had very satisfactory results. One is called the "copper cactus" and the other is made from twin lead TV wire and is portable. The length can be adjusted for any frequency. http://www.wb6nvh.com/DATA/jpole.pdf

WB9YBM

"How big of an improvement is it over the standard scanner antennas that come with the scanners? "

Almost everything's an improvement over a rubber-duck antenna. An antenna for the two meter ham band will get you close--check a few web sites for the formulas but I think you need to trim it just a few inches to get it to tune on the aero band (although a slight antenna mis-match isn't as serious on receive as it is on transmit).

prcguy

A typical J-pole will not cover the entire 118-136MHz range without some performance falling off at the edges and the VSWR going through the roof. A store bought VHF air specific J-pole would probably be tuned ok in the center of the band but if your going to make one from scratch and without test equipment its a crap shoot and a simple ground plane would be easier to build and more repeatable.

Ubbe

A J-pole are a balanced antenna and needs a balun or at least chokes to decouple a coax feedline to stop the coax from being an antenna element. My experiance are that J-poles are more sensitive to nearby objects and needs the antenna to be installed in "free" air.

A more simple 1/2 wave dipole seems to work just as good and are easier to build.

There are some relevant facts at Wikipedia. J-pole antenna - Wikipedia

/Ubbe

belvdr

No longer interested in living
We use the mobile version of the Aviation Band J-Pole on all our Fire Trucks and support vehicles at MIA. Combined with the ICOM IC-A220t dash mount.
That's a Sti-Co Tri-band antenna and its not related in any way to a J-pole.
Looking at their site, that doesn't support aviation frequencies either, at least for transmission.
A few years ago, though, I had used my VHF/UHF whip on my car to listen to aviation frequencies. It wasn't the best, for certain, but it worked for grabbing the ATIS on the way to the airport.

prcguy

I think a ground plane with a grounded hairpin loop vertical element would probably cover the entire VHF air band and would be easy to make. Its just like a regular ground plane except the vertical element makes a U turn and heads back down to the feed point where its grounded. Here is a commercial version that's rated at 2% frequency band width, so if you use 127MHz as the center of the band it should cover 114.3 to 139.7MHz.

The commercial version uses thicker elements than a home made job using maybe house wire or brazing rods, but I think it would work fine over the 118 to 136MHz range compared to a J-pole or simple ground plane. So who wants to make one and report on how it works?

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Well, that's what we got seems to work just fine. We have our aviation Icom going through it. You know the government they always know best. Probably was laying around and some mechanic who was comm guy for the day installed it.

prcguy

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I use it and, it replaced an all band discone I have in my attic.

It is the only antenna capable of pulling in ATIS broadcasts from a nearby airport (10 miles) and the tower frequencies.

Don't know about the other's situation but in mine, it did work great.

I have it inside the attic, not mounted outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.