Avmap G6 serial APRS cable pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimfire9142

I have recently purchased a new truck and am gonna put my Avmap G6 APRS and Kenwood D710 transceiver in it. But now found out that I had left the serial cable in my old truck and when Iwent back
to the dealer to get it, the truck was already sold. So now I am left with no way to connect both units together. I went to the Avmap website to see about purchasing a new cable, but WOW...they want $29.00 for it and $20.00 for shipping. No way am I gonna pay that much for a cable that cost around $10.00 or less to
make. So what I need is the pinout of the cable....one end has a 4-pole 2.5mm phone plug on it and the other end has a 3-pole 2.5mm phone plug on it....Can anyone help me with the pinout of that cable. Would
appreciate any help.
Joe - WA6DDF

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I found the attached file in the Kenwood TM-D710/TM-V71 Yahoo Group.

Attachments

• Kenwood Avmap Cable Config.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 208

Rimfire9142

Thank you very much. One other thing I need to find out about is the pinout of the Yaesu FTM400 external
GPS jack. Avmap tells me that the AVMAP G6 APRS unit can not be used with the Yaesu FTM400. I just bought two of them and installed one in my truck and one in my son's (WA0DDF) truck. Maybe it can or maybe it can't.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I believe that the GPS jack on the Yaesu APRS radios is the same pin-out as the GPS jack on the Kenwood radios. Your best bet is to check the manuals, including the specialized APRS manuals, for both radios.

AK9R

Super Moderator
One other comment...Don Arnold W6GPS helped AvMap with U.S. support of their APRS products. Now that AvMap is out of this market, Don has backed away from his public involvement with AvMap. That said, he still has a lot of knowledge about the AvMap APRS products. If you can track him down, he may be able to help.

Rimfire9142

oh, and btw....found the pinout for the external GPS jack on the Yaesu...it is reversed from the Kenwood
WA6DDF - Joe

AK9R

Super Moderator
...found the pinout for the external GPS jack on the Yaesu...it is reversed from the Kenwood.
I don't think so.

The first attachment is the Kenwood external GPS wiring followed by the Yaesu external GPS wiring.

In both of them the tip is wired as data going from the radio to the GPS, the ring is wired as data coming from the GPS to the radio, and the sleeve is ground. The terminology may be different, but the signal paths are the same.

Attachments

• Kenwood External GPS.PNG
    Kenwood External GPS.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 401
  • Yaesu External GPS.PNG
    Yaesu External GPS.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 335

Rimfire9142

Guess I read the pinouts wrong.....guess that's what old age does to a old ham...eye sight starts to fail...
then the GPS data format for the Kenwood is different than the Yaesu GPS data format. One is NMEA
and the other is WGS (or something like that)...
Thank you...
WA6DDF - Joe

AK9R

Super Moderator
It's all NMEA 0183 data strings except that Kenwood added a few more strings so it can send received APRS position reports as waypoints to a GPS receiver. This is how the AvMap and other GPS receivers display APRS position reports on their screens--the Kenwood radios send waypoints to the GPS receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.