AWIN Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydes

Please let me know what scanners will pick up AWIN in Sebastian County, Ark. I known I need a Digital scanner, but I don't want to spend $450 & find out it won't do the job or is AWIN is scrambled. Thank you. KB5SVW.

safetyobc

Probably would have had better luck posting in Arkansas forums. However.....

Pro 96, Pro 2096, BC296D, BC796D are your previous generation digitals that will pick up AWIN. 99.9% of AWIN is NOT encrypted.

BCD396XT, BCD996XT, PSR-500, PSR-600, Pro-106, Pro-197 are your current generation digitals. (newer gen = more memory, more features.)

Check out the Radio Model Wiki for more info on each model.

The previous generation can be bought here on the classifieds as well as eBay for around $250 if you find a good deal.

Good luck.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi Clydes,

Welcome to RR!:) Safetyobc pretty well answered your question but I am moving your thread here in case anyone else needs to mention something.

clydes

Thank you

There is no better info than from someone with experience. Sales people will always tell me anything to get my money. I would rather have the truth. Thank you again.

safetyobc

If I were you, I would go with a newer digital. Just for the memory available for the HUGE AWIN system.

However, you can pick up an older one, but will have trouble fitting all of the TGIDs into one system.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To add to Safety's statements... There is a small amount of encryption on the AWIN... Fort Smith for example. Currently they are pretty much the only ones to use encryption full time. I have monitored the U.S. Marshals twice going encrypted, and DEA using it once but that is rare currently. Also to all- Remember to keep up with the rebanding of the AWIN as it is beginning the first phases and over the next few months will go to the reprogramming of equipment and new freq allocations. I expect that once it starts that phase will take at least a year to redo all the sites and radios.

gray6077

Premium Subscriber
I know this doesn't have anything to do with Sebastian Co. and BubbaEarle could probably speak to this better, but I've never heard Cross Co. SO in the clear (which is not very often).

poppafred

Sebastian Co. doesn't even encrypt their survelance of meth suspects. Their radio traffic is so frequent, I have to lock them out to hear anyone else! Ft Smith PD encrypts everything except the primary channel. Ft Smith FD is all in the clear.

I believe you would be happy with any of the newer digital scanners on the market. When you go to pick one, keep in mind that they do not program like the old scanners. Programming software and cables are becoming almost a neccesity anymore. The cables and software can bean added expense. The GRE digital line does come with the programming cable so that saves $35 over a Radio Shack rigs. Never owned a Uniden so someone else will have to fill in that blank. The main programming softwares have a 30 day evaluation period so don't download and install one until you have the scanner and are ready to go.

When you make up your mind, let us know. There are a couple of us western Arkansas folks lurking around out here and we would be glad to help you get things up and running.

Last edited:

Angel77

What handheld scanner to use?

I need to know what handheld scanner will pick up stations for Greenwood, Arkansas in Sebastian County? I think I need a 800mhz, because my 400mhz doesn't work here and the person said it would, but only picks up weather. Please help. Used scanner would be alright. Thanks. Also, Do I need a ICQ number? Msn messenger handle? Skype Name? If so, how do I go about it? and what is the cost?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
ANY of the digital capable scanners from the PRO-96/2096 & BCD396/996, up through the current PSR500/600, and PSR800, as well as newest PRO-18, and Uniden's Home Patrol (HP-1) are perfect to go on the AWIN. You don't need any Skype, MSN messenger, or any of that unless you just want a messenger to chat with people online. Most if not all of them are free! Also be advised, as of January, Whistler, famous for radar detectors etc, is now making scanners. They bought out GRE and will be putting them on the market in 2014. This should bring down the costs of the current market gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.