AWIN DB page layout reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I want to suggest that the AWIN DB page be reorganized so that the individual counties are grouped according to ASP Troops

The StarCom21 - Illinois DB page is set up kinda like what I'm suggesting.

I think the change would benefit new & out of state users better organize their scanners.

I don't know how much work this would entail and offer my time in helping with the change altho I am not a DB Admin.

Any pros or cons?

Proposed layout below:

links to individual depts. webpages where available

Statewide Common:

Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM)
Mutual Aid - ADEM & Law Enforcement
Statewide Law Common
Statewide EMS Common & Aeromedical
Statewide Events

State Police:

Troop A - Little Rock
Faulkner
U of A Conway
Lonoke
Pulaski
UALR /UAMS
Saline

Troop B - Newport
Cleburne
Independence
Jackson
Lawrence
Sharp
White

Troop C - Jonesboro
Clay
Craighead
ASU Jonesboro
Greene
Mississippi
Poinsett
Randolph

Troop D - Forrest City
Crittenden
Cross
Lee
Monroe
Phillips
Prairie
St. Francis
Woodruff

Troop E - Pine Bluff
Arkansas
Desha
Jefferson
U of A Pine Bluff
Lincoln

Troop F - Warren
Ashley
Bradley
Calhoun
Chicot
Cleveland
Dallas
Drew
Ouachita
Union

Troop G - Hope
Columbia
Hempstead
Howard
Lafayette
Little River
Miller
Nevada
Sevier

Troop H - Fort Smith
Crawford
Franklin
Logan
Scott
Sebastian
U of A Fort Smith

Troop I - Harrison
Baxter
Boone
Fulton
Izard
Marion
Newton
Searcy
Stone

Troop J - Clarksville
Conway
Johnson
Perry
Pope
Van Buren
Yell

Troop K - Hot Springs
Clark
Garland
Grant
Hot Spring
Montgomery
Pike
Polk

Troop L - Springdale
Benton
Carroll
Madison
Washington

Governor Security Detail
Specialized Services
Radio Technicians

State Goverment:

Arkansas Department of Corrections (ADC)
Arkansas Highway Police (AHP)
Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department (AHTD)
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission (AGFC)
Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism
Arkansas Forestry Commission
Arkansas Tobacco Control / Alcoholic Beverage Control - Administration
Arkansas Department of Information Systems
Arkansas Department of Health
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)
Arkansas National Guard
Civil Air Patrol

Federal Government

Miscellaneous & Unknown

btritch

I want to suggest that the AWIN DB page be reorganized so that the individual counties are grouped according to ASP Troops

The StarCom21 - Illinois DB page is set up kinda like what I'm suggesting.

I think the change would benefit new & out of state users better organize their scanners.

I don't know how much work this would entail and offer my time in helping with the change altho I am not a DB Admin.

Any pros or cons?

Proposed layout below:

links to individual depts. webpages where available

Statewide Common:

Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM)
Mutual Aid - ADEM & Law Enforcement
Statewide Law Common
Statewide EMS Common & Aeromedical
Statewide Events

State Police:

Troop A - Little Rock
Faulkner
U of A Conway
Lonoke
Pulaski
UALR /UAMS
Saline

Troop B - Newport
Cleburne
Independence
Jackson
Lawrence
Sharp
White

Troop C - Jonesboro
Clay
Craighead
ASU Jonesboro
Greene
Mississippi
Poinsett
Randolph

Troop D - Forrest City
Crittenden
Cross
Lee
Monroe
Phillips
Prairie
St. Francis
Woodruff

Troop E - Pine Bluff
Arkansas
Desha
Jefferson
U of A Pine Bluff
Lincoln

Troop F - Warren
Ashley
Bradley
Calhoun
Chicot
Cleveland
Dallas
Drew
Ouachita
Union

Troop G - Hope
Columbia
Hempstead
Howard
Lafayette
Little River
Miller
Nevada
Sevier

Troop H - Fort Smith
Crawford
Franklin
Logan
Scott
Sebastian
U of A Fort Smith

Troop I - Harrison
Baxter
Boone
Fulton
Izard
Marion
Newton
Searcy
Stone

Troop J - Clarksville
Conway
Johnson
Perry
Pope
Van Buren
Yell

Troop K - Hot Springs
Clark
Garland
Grant
Hot Spring
Montgomery
Pike
Polk

Troop L - Springdale
Benton
Carroll
Madison
Washington

Governor Security Detail
Specialized Services
Radio Technicians

State Goverment:

Arkansas Department of Corrections (ADC)
Arkansas Highway Police (AHP)
Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department (AHTD)
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission (AGFC)
Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism
Arkansas Forestry Commission
Arkansas Tobacco Control / Alcoholic Beverage Control - Administration
Arkansas Department of Information Systems
Arkansas Department of Health
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)
Arkansas National Guard
Civil Air Patrol

Federal Government

Miscellaneous & Unknown

I like that idea...I have to look and look and look sometimes to find what I want..

hitophikers

I have posted such a file on the ArkansasScanning Yahoo group for the bcTool software package and the Uniden 996T. I've even included the cities and other groups that are using AWIN within each Troop. That's the way I have my scanner set up and it makes it easy when traveling, even though I don't have a GPS interface to my Uniden 996T.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I think the way awin page is setup is just fine to me. When looking for stuff I use the search feature and type in the word. Seems to work for me.
The reorganization is geared towards new and less advanced users as a tool for them to more easily recognize what they need to program for their immediate area.

The way it's set up now with all the counties in alphabetical order is not very intuitive espicially if one is not familiar with the AWIN system or the ASP Troop layout.

Any AR DB Admins here?? no comments from y'all so far.
It's really up to y'all if ya wanna spend the time to do it.
My time is still available.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I have posted such a file on the ArkansasScanning Yahoo group for the bcTool software package and the Uniden 996T. I've even included the cities and other groups that are using AWIN within each Troop. That's the way I have my scanner set up and it makes it easy when traveling, even though I don't have a GPS interface to my Uniden 996T.

Each ASP Troop would include their specific TGIDs and then further broken down by county and their specific agency TGIDs if any within the county are on AWIN.

We seem to be onto the same concept.

I have helped several folks set up their scanners like this and they found the current DB page confusing.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
What you're proposing would take a lot of man hours, and a complete overhaul of the AWIN page. While I do understand your idea, the AWIN page as it is currently laid-out, follows a logical progression with respect to the hierarchy of governmental agencies and services. Moreover, each subscriber to the system is broken down for simplicity. Likewise, it was decided a few years ago to eliminate large clusters of talkgroups that are sometimes thrown together haphazardly, or under the one group known as "All Talkgroups."

In the past, several states have been to known to combine or eliminate their state police districts or troop areas. These changes happen for various reasons, including but not limited to changing geopolitical climates, budget cuts, state infrastructure improvement programs, and downsizing and consolidation. If this would happen, it would require more work to change these upgrades on the Web site. Moreover, sometimes these changes take place, but nobody informs us of the changes until sometime later. This is why its important that the readers here submit any updates just as soon as they are confirmed, so we can make the necessary changes on this Web site. These are several systems that have changed in the past, but we weren't notified until two, maybe three years later.

73s

Ron

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
What you're proposing would take a lot of man hours, and a complete overhaul of the AWIN page.

Scanning is a hobby and most hobbies take a few man-hours - either listening or supporting the hobby via this website.

It isn't a complete overhaul of the page - just moving data around to re-group it in a more logical manner to conform to geographical areas.

...... the AWIN page as it is currently laid-out, follows a logical progression with respect to the hierarchy of governmental agencies and services. Moreover, each subscriber to the system is broken down for simplicity.Likewise, it was decided a few years ago to eliminate large clusters of talkgroups that are sometimes thrown together haphazardly, or under the one group known as "All Talkgroups."

As stated above re-group data according to geographical areas. There would be a Statewide block of TGIDs, each ASP Troop would follow with each county below it with each agency using AWIN within that troop. There would be no haphazardly assembled "All Talkgroups" block of data. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I could send ya to further explain my intentions.

In the past, several states have been to known to combine or eliminate their state police districts or troop areas.These changes happen for various reasons, including but not limited to changing geopolitical climates, budget cuts, state infrastructure improvement programs, and downsizing and consolidation. If this would happen, it would require more work to change these upgrades on the Web site.

Each state is different in how their statewide communications are structured, if they all followed a set template that would be sweet! Boring, but sweet.

I don't see AR changing ASP Troops or eliminating anything any time soon. They did consolidate the AHP into the ASP - it was formerly part of AHTD - but nothing changed as far as I know other than their pension plan (I have kin in the AHP altho I'll ask again, I want to clarify the AHP Districts as compared to ASP Troops).

If anything does change.......support our hobby with man-hours.

Moreover, sometimes these changes take place, but nobody informs us of the changes until sometime later. This is why its important that the readers here submit any updates just as soon as they are confirmed, so we can make the necessary changes on this Web site. These are several systems that have changed in the past, but we weren't notified until two, maybe three years later.

I agree with user participation and I feel if the AWIN page was laid out as I suggest it would aid new users and existing inexperienced users in monitoring in a more efficient manner and that may spur even more participation in monitoring, verifying, and submitting info to the DB.

When users submit data to the DB what is the process to check that data to ensure accuracy? Frequencies seem easy - just search the FCC site, but TGID's would have to be on the honor system.

Is there a local (in state) DB Admin for each state? I think btritch inquired a while back, but what is the process to become a DB Admin?

Status
Not open for further replies.