AWIN Discussion

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yearly Training on the radio system in use should be mandatory on all systems. There is no excuse in 2021 to not know how your tools function. IPSC here in IN is very good about not only regular reminder training, but constantly sends reminders about knowing how to find TG's and conventional mutual aids etc. Add to this they frequently remind folks always know where the radios are, make sure they are registered on the system, and to keep them in good working order. And have finally begun cracking down on "missing/lost/stolen" radios, and getting them locked out of the system. IDPS has even begun stunning radios that cause issues after three verbal warnings over air. They then announce that: "Radio XYZ, your radio has been stunned, and will no longer work. To get your radio reactivated, please take it to IDPSC as soon as possible."

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This is true! I know of some law enforcement agencies that will say "Go to highband" or "Go to state", then tell the details on AWIN that they didn't want to reveal on their regular VHF analog or DMR frequency. Clearly they think that they are not being monitored. Guess again!

Shhh....... ;)

Devin18

This is true! I know of some law enforcement agencies that will say "Go to highband" or "Go to state", then tell the details on AWIN that they didn't want to reveal on their regular VHF analog or DMR frequency. Clearly they think that they are not being monitored. Guess again!
Yes, my County does the same thing the County Deputies love that AWIN.

INDY72

Garland used to be that way when only a few high ranking deputies had AWIN radios. Now that they are full time AWIN, they have a couple of encrypted TG's... So now if they think they are truly private, THEY ARE.

Devin18

Garland used to be that way when only a few high ranking deputies had AWIN radios. Now that they are full time AWIN, they have a couple of encrypted TG's... So now if they think they are truly private, THEY ARE.
Oh Ok. You know my County didn't even use to use AWIN at all, but over time they started using it more and more. I understand that people have scanner and everything, but there is some smart people out there and they will find an way to listen to Law enforcement etc. Also our local ems is supposed to go to AWIN sooner or later.

Last edited:

Magnetsteve

Oh has anyone heard officially yet on what they will do once Hot Springs gets its 3rd site finally done? Will they shut off the "shared" site, or just move a CC over and keep sharing it once the HS TRS is brought online? Trying to pre make plans for a trip to see mom and fam this year.

My understanding is nothing is getting shut off. It's all shared, nothing separate. It's all AWIN.

INDY72

After seeing that interview with HSFD chief, yeah, looks like after the state closed that facility and killed that for a site for HS, they went ahead and converted the whole system over. Coverage is still very spotty until they get all 3 sites up. Will be interesting to see how they set up the dual simulcast sharing once its done. I know HSPD, HSFD will have access to the Garland County simulcast layer, and GCSO, and the FD's will be able to use the Hot Springs simulcast layer. Will State use both or just the County layer?

jhsands

Feed Provider

I know Dallas county does. They talk about baby momma and everything else; the football game score and how the coach could have done X.

After seeing that interview with HSFD chief, yeah, looks like after the state closed that facility and killed that for a site for HS, they went ahead and converted the whole system over. Coverage is still very spotty until they get all 3 sites up. Will be interesting to see how they set up the dual simulcast sharing once its done. I know HSPD, HSFD will have access to the Garland County simulcast layer, and GCSO, and the FD's will be able to use the Hot Springs simulcast layer. Will State use both or just the County layer?

I was told ISSI and part of the reason for the AWIN upgrade that lasted a week. That didn't come from AWIN OPS though so I cannot be for certain.

I do know it is a waste of public money for another agency to setup the rest of the $2M infrastructure just to have their own system. That's what a recently transitioned M employee told me it would cost... give or take a few hundred thousand. Someone may have a better figure... that is way outside of my realm. I do know I was told that a new TRS site from top to bottom with microwave and a new tower is $3M.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Yearly Training on the radio system in use should be mandatory on all systems. There is no excuse in 2021 to not know how your tools function. IPSC here in IN is very good about not only regular reminder training, but constantly sends reminders about knowing how to find TG's and conventional mutual aids etc. Add to this they frequently remind folks always know where the radios are, make sure they are registered on the system, and to keep them in good working order. And have finally begun cracking down on "missing/lost/stolen" radios, and getting them locked out of the system. IDPS has even begun stunning radios that cause issues after three verbal warnings over air. They then announce that: "Radio XYZ, your radio has been stunned, and will no longer work. To get your radio reactivated, please take it to IDPSC as soon as possible."

It doesn't matter how much you send it out, the problem is the command chain doesn't think those on the lower end of the pole need to know. That is true for multiple agencies. I just love getting phone calls asking how to go to MAC XX or SW X. More good ones are the phone calls about "SITE TRUNKING" and why am I "OUT OF RANGE".

INDY72

I know Dallas county does. They talk about baby momma and everything else; the football game score and how the coach could have done X.

I was told ISSI and part of the reason for the AWIN upgrade that lasted a week. That didn't come from AWIN OPS though so I cannot be for certain.

I do know it is a waste of public money for another agency to setup the rest of the $2M infrastructure just to have their own system. That's what a recently transitioned M employee told me it would cost... give or take a few hundred thousand. Someone may have a better figure... that is way outside of my realm. I do know I was told that a new TRS site from top to bottom with microwave and a new tower is $3M.
Yeah the original system was to be Hot Springs own, with MOU's in place that allowed Garland County to access it. Then they went to an ISSI using one of the 3 sites, and in the interview HSFD Chief states they are an "SUBSYSTEM" of AWIN, so that would imply it is an ISSI linking. Apparently a permanent one. Kind of like how Little Rock/Pulaski County did with their TRS. Still will be curious as to if State will be able to use both the County, and City simulcasts once that other site is done. Trip this year is on hold now after mom passed away couple of weeks ago, and the hospital stay/nursing home stay for over a month killed any savings for a while. Can't stack bills when your not working.

jhsands

Feed Provider
In the past we did receive Pro96Com tower information that did show Zone 4 Sites that were, and still are unidentified. These are neighbors to Site 1-62 as follows:

New Site

1-062 unknown location

772.15625d
772.43125a

C4FM Phase 1

Neighbors: 127, 429, 430, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436

73's

Ron

I wonder if this is ISSI ??

jhsands

Feed Provider
Unsure,... Anyone ever find possible site in the CC list for AWIN. I know some of you guys have the full list as shown in CPS.

There are not any 772 CCs in the last XTL5000 we put on the system about February 2020. 773.33125 is in the CC list. If I had the means to, I would add both 772 and see if they picked up.

jhsands

Feed Provider

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
"JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) - The Craighead County Public Service Committee unanimously passed an appropriation ordinance that would transfer $450,000 of COVID-19 relief funds to fund the Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN) Infrastructure Fund.

The money would be used to upgrade the radio systems in the county to a digital radio system, which E-911 services like Jonesboro use."

More:
County to consider radio upgrades for fire departments

Not sure it will be the magic they are hoping for but who knows...

INDY72

"JONESBORO, Ark. (KAIT) - The Craighead County Public Service Committee unanimously passed an appropriation ordinance that would transfer $450,000 of COVID-19 relief funds to fund the Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN) Infrastructure Fund.

The money would be used to upgrade the radio systems in the county to a digital radio system, which E-911 services like Jonesboro use."

More:
County to consider radio upgrades for fire departments

Not sure it will be the magic they are hoping for but who knows...
They do have excellent coverage as one of the first test zones ever done. They have had TG's for all of the county fire for as long as I can remember, as well as the SO, and at least one TG for every PD in the county. They might could even benefit from converting the like 6 sites for the county into a simulcast.

davidqualls

Premium Subscriber
Anyone scan the AWIN sites around the Pope-Johnson-Yell-Conway county area?

Generally the AWIN here for local county SO works just fine, just when you tune into Johnson County nothing is heard.

Is there a rhyme or reason for certain counties continually flip-flopping between AWIN and the analog channels?
Johnson County is not using AWIN. They are still on DMR. Every once in a while I hear something on the JCSO AWIN TG.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Johnson County is not using AWIN. They are still on DMR. Every once in a while I hear something on the JCSO AWIN TG.

That's what I thought. I believe it's the same for Conway. Over here in Pope they use AWIN besides fire. I'm just trying to get better reception of Johnson, so that makes sense.

Seems like it depends on the county who or what is using awin.

jhsands

Feed Provider
That's what I thought. I believe it's the same for Conway. Over here in Pope they use AWIN besides fire. I'm just trying to get better reception of Johnson, so that makes sense.

Seems like it depends on the county who or what is using awin.

All counties are different. Some places their system doesn't work and AWIN works. Other areas their system works and AWIN doesn't. Systems where the city and county share (like Columbia County) one department might use AWIN when another department won't shut up.