AWIN Discussion

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Can confirm, a friend texted me about official's meeting to discuss this upgrade. It's insane the wealthiest part of the state (Northwest Arkansas) isn't already using the latest radio equipment. The clarity of digital voice is incredible, even when communicating in the rain it's easy to understand what's being said.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
False actually. Its all in best planning and set up of the system. If they can do it in mountains of GA, TN, NC, UT, CO, and in the pines of LA, MS, the rest of AR, it can be done. Even if they have to do multi banding like with TACN, MOSWIN, adding in VHF sites, it can be done.

wbswetnam

But, in the hills of NW Arkansas, digital is not as reliable as analog.
Just as they say with real estate, it's location, location, location... and topography! Here in the south end of Russellville, Franklin County Sheriff on DMR booms in from 50+ miles away, while Logan County (less than half the distance) is completely blocked by Mount Nebo.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Just as they say with real estate, it's location, location, location... and topography! Here in the south end of Russellville, Franklin County Sheriff on DMR booms in from 50+ miles away, while Logan County (less than half the distance) is completely blocked by Mount Nebo.

To add to this, I have heard many say that digital actually travels further, as far as a readable signal, because there's no static to cover voice traffic...it typically just works until it drops off. I guess I should say that many say digital is readable at greater distances.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
To add to this, I have heard many say that digital actually travels further, as far as a readable signal, because there's no static to cover voice traffic...it typically just works until it drops off. I guess I should say that many say digital is readable at greater distances.

I'm not a expert by any means, but as an individual that has used conventional analog and digital trunking in the area, digital is by far the easiest to communicate on. Many disagree with me on other threads, which maybe conventional is setup better in other areas, but for Arkansas Motorola P25 phase ii blows the competition outta the water!!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
With the exception of 1 simulcast site that is running TDMA data.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
AWIN is still currently Phase I, however.

True, however many agencies already have equipment/sites necessary to run Phase II // but as we all know, Motorola ASTRO-25 Phase II systems can also have an optional feature known as Dynamic-Dual-Mode (DDM), which will seamlessly revert a whole talkgroup (TGRP) to FDMA operating mode if a Phase I-only radio affiliates with a Phase II TDMA TGRP, and only go back to TDMA once all Phase I-only are unaffiliated with said TGRP.
Many agencies, like some in North Carolina & Missouri, Have Phase II systems but still operate using FDMA. Which makes sense when you consider the cost of Motorola APX Radios, which cost at least $4,000, the dispatch consoles themselves cost $45,000.

wbswetnam

Yes. AWIN will convert to ASTRO 7.18 during 2020/2021 and all sites will use DDM.
Recently, Whistler had some WS-1040 handheld scanners at a scratch-and-dent sale for only $175 I think. These are P25 phase 1 only scanners. I thought about it but decided against it since I think we're close to phase 2 anyway and it won't be long before the WS-1040 won't work on AWIN.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I hadn't heard of DDM. I learn something new on here all the time.

Makes a lot of sense in a system as big as AWIN.
Dynamic Dual Mode. Standard for P25 systems that are transitioning to Phase II or that allow users from other systems on that use FDMA (Phase I) radios.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Recently, Whistler had some WS-1040 handheld scanners at a scratch-and-dent sale for only $175 I think. These are P25 phase 1 only scanners. I thought about it but decided against it since I think we're close to phase 2 anyway and it won't be long before the WS-1040 won't work on AWIN.

You can buy a 1040 off Amazon BRAND NEW for $200, you know that right? Also, AWIN is close to being phase-II capable. There's still quite a few agencies using phase-I only radio's, I think the XTS series is
phase-I only but i dont remember.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
You can buy a 1040 off Amazon BRAND NEW for $200, you know that right? Also, AWIN is close to being phase-II capable. There's still quite a few agencies using phase-I only radio's, I think the XTS series is
phase-I only but i dont remember.
And ALL XTS radios are discontinued and have no support or new parts. They like the SmartNet/SmartZone family of ASTRO are EOL. Hence the reason that the overall conversion project is a 5 year plan. Takes a bit of time to get all those old discontinued and not supported radios off the system. Time for anyone still rolling an older radio to go to Kenwood, Motorola, Tait, EFJ, or Harris and get an future proofed P25 Phase II capable radio.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Pro96Com, Universal Trunker AKA Unitrunker, DSD+, The analyze function on a BCD436HP/BCD536HP.

AWIN trauma com mystery 4me?
the problem i seem to be having is that I can only hear trauma com on my HP1, 536, sds100 and 200 is if i have obviously system stopped on AWINS, but then i have to also stop on any channel or talk group. only then can i also stop on department and turn it to the state trauma department. then i have to go to the correct talk group and hold all three and i will then start receiving traffic. if i just hold system and department and try and scan Tg s then i hear nothing. the really strange thing is i am hearing them perfectly consistent on one of my 15year old radio shack radios. i have several radios as mentioned and have compared side by side and all are hearing traffic just fine but the newer ones only do so if manually put in the above described scenarios? I have good outside antennas and low loss short run coax and as i said its not the signal strength, the newer ones just aren't scanning trauma com tg s without manually holding and thats on all 4 listed above. I am not using FLs just the full database and I've tried all the range distances as well No Joy! Does anyone have any advice or solutions??