AWIN Discussion

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Yes well if someone drags a talkgroup then you can theoretically hear any talkgroup off any site unless it’s set to not permit it to affiliate.
I completely understand that. What I was getting at was edge of county/troop coverage on neighboring sites.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah. And AWIN apparently felt it unnecessary (or didn't want) to limit affiliation on most radios to sites on the system.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I've resurrected an old Windows 7 laptop that runs Pro96com really well. I've been thinking about getting an inverter to power it & my old trusty PSR 500 and cruise around and get new data on some sites near me.

I really need to take it to work and get data on the new Marion site. I drive past it every day. Just never take a radio anymore.

Also, there were new 700MHz licenses for St Francis & Lonoke Counties here lately.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Yeah. And AWIN apparently felt it unnecessary (or didn't want) to limit affiliation on most radios to sites on the system.

Poor system management on their part. There are procedures for out of county comms on alternate talkgroups so ya don't drag halfway across the state.

I've heard EMS dispatch on ADEM Central talkgroup, Cleburne Co. from what I can tell. Should it be there?

Law ops on MAC 10, where it shouldn't be......wrong assignment by whomever is running the MAC channels tonite....

Various other things that just seemed out of place, I feel it's poor training & nobody told to do things correctly.

gray6077

Premium Subscriber
I may have post this earlier to the wrong tread this may be better tread.
I have come across 3 new talkgroups. All 3 on the Lake City tower.
20210 and 20214 sound fire/ems maybe. Crittenden County ?
16426 sound law. Jonesboro?

20210 is Crittenden County small PDs (Turrell/Gilmore/Jericho) and 20214 is Crittenden County EMS

wrr20891

My list so far.....

I find it strange that:
B15 Iron Mtn / Stone Co. and B14 Wallace Knob / Fulton Co. are in Troop I, not Troop B
J04 Guy / Faulkner Co. is in Troop A, not Troop J

When the original 800 MHz system was set up in the 1980's, Stone, and Fulton Counties were in Troop B and Faulkner County was in Troop J. That's where the original site numbering came from. Counties were later realigned into Troops I and A, but the original site names were already set up and left as they were.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
When the original 800 MHz system was set up in the 1980's, Stone, and Fulton Counties were in Troop B and Faulkner County was in Troop J. That's where the original site numbering came from. Counties were later realigned into Troops I and A, but the original site names were already set up and left as they were.

Cool....never knew that.
Thanks for the history lesson.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Poor system management on their part. There are procedures for out of county comms on alternate talkgroups so ya don't drag halfway across the state.

I've heard EMS dispatch on ADEM Central talkgroup, Cleburne Co. from what I can tell. Should it be there?

Law ops on MAC 10, where it shouldn't be......wrong assignment by whomever is running the MAC channels tonite....

Law enforcement is not limited to MAC10, but MAC11-15 are only supposed to be for law enforcement; however, MAC11-15 are in (or supposed to be) all radios. Our fire department radios have MAC11-15 and have since 2005.

I forgot what EMS is on Central 1, but they have permission from AWIN to be on it. I'm thinking it is one out of Stone County but don't click the quote button on that.

jhsands

Feed Provider
I've resurrected an old Windows 7 laptop that runs Pro96com really well. I've been thinking about getting an inverter to power it & my old trusty PSR 500 and cruise around and get new data on some sites near me.

A SDR and SDR Trunk, DSD+, or UniTrunker are much easier to carry around. I wish pro96com worked with SDR...

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
No. They barely have police force. CCSO and ASP handle most issues there.

I drive thru there 5 days a week (I work in Memphis) and haven't seen them patrol Hwy 64 lately.

I always see at least 2 or 3 SO deputies headed that way in the mornings ~7:20 - 7:30 or so.....usually meet them between Grassy Lakes Bottoms & the high school. I figure one is for school security.

I lived in Earle for a time 20 - 25 years ago.....seems nuthing has changed.....city is on life support.

Last edited:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
A SDR and SDR Trunk, DSD+, or UniTrunker are much easier to carry around. I wish pro96com worked with SDR...

Old laptop won't run the software very well. I'm too cheap to buy a new laptop right now.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Law enforcement is not limited to MAC10, but MAC11-15 are only supposed to be for law enforcement; however, MAC11-15 are in (or supposed to be) all radios. Our fire department radios have MAC11-15 and have since 2005.

I forgot what EMS is on Central 1, but they have permission from AWIN to be on it. I'm thinking it is one out of Stone County but don't click the quote button on that.

I just thought it was odd for EMS dispatch on ADEM Central.....

Caught some DTF traffic on MAC 10 last nite - keystone cop antics - I reckon it was a mis-assignment on ADEM's part. They've usually been on MAC 11 lately.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
What are the processor specs? If it has a Windows 7 sticker, it will probably run it just fine in control channel only mode. Voice synthetization is where the CPU load takes place.

I'll experiment with SDRTrunk on a Raspberry Pi 4 soon, but for now Pro96com is fine & easy to use, already set up.

I have two old Acer laptops that had Win10, but now have Linux Mint that run pretty decent with CubicSDR & GQRX. It sucks that WINE doesn't support USB connections.

Last edited:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Saw that email. I see a site 70 on the ArcGIS map, WSW of Jonesboro (west of I-555). Been there awhile? Interesting that they have 3 sites so close together there...

I'm pretty sure it's due to Craighead Co. & Jonesboro city having so many (64+) talkgroups, otherwise they'd overload the system. Seems as if that'd be a prime example of users restricted to only a specific tower(s).