AWIN Discussion

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
So...I don't remember...did anyone submit the site letter/number combinations to be added to the db at the beginning of the site name (or some sortable column in the db list)?? Or are we still trying to gather info?

I submitted it all a while back, but the admin wasn’t clear why I submitted it all. Got busy with work and other crap after last time I made a post with the latest info I had.

Maybe a submission with a link to this thread & copy & paste the latest list may clarify the issue to the admin.

On the bright side, all my radios have the updated site names!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I submitted it all a while back, but the admin wasn’t clear why I submitted it all. Got busy with work and other crap after last time I made a post with the latest info I had.

Maybe a submission with a link to this thread & copy & paste the latest list may clarify the issue to the admin.

On the bright side, all my radios have the updated site names!

Yeah, we may just have to do it manually. I wish someone from Arkansas - who actually lives here - would be the admin for Arkansas' db...we need someone who actually cares. (Unless something has changed recently I think they both were out of state last I looked.)

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we may just have to do it manually. I wish someone from Arkansas - who actually lives here - would be the admin for Arkansas' db...we need someone who actually cares. (Unless something has changed recently I think they both were out of state last I looked.)

MILF 2020

MAKE AR DB GREAT AGAIN

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I have made a submission to the DB to update the site names.....

Here is what I put in the submission box:

AWIN Site name updates.

Please see table in the following post in the AWIN Discussion thread:

The updated names come from e-mail alerts from the AWIN system administrator when issues arise and/or maintenance is performed.

Columns 1, 2 & 3 are what is currently in the RR DB

Column 4 is the AWIN name for that site as referenced in the e-mails.

Column 5 is the county location currently in RR DB

No frequencies have changed - just site names.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I have made a submission to the DB to update the site names.....

Here is what I put in the submission box:

AWIN Site name updates.

Please see table in the following post in the AWIN Discussion thread:

The updated names come from e-mail alerts from the AWIN system administrator when issues arise and/or maintenance is performed.

Columns 1, 2 & 3 are what is currently in the RR DB

Column 4 is the AWIN name for that site as referenced in the e-mails.

Column 5 is the county location currently in RR DB

No frequencies have changed - just site names.

They half-assed it.....no surprise

Updated the site names but left off the troop/number prefix.

I reckon since it didn’t match site number the admin took it upon himself to exclude it.

I believe the admin lives far enough off they’d never even listen to AWIN

MILF 2021!!

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

I reckon since it didn’t match site number the admin took it upon himself to exclude it.

MILF 2021!!

We actually talked about about adding the troop/number prefix to each site, but it was deemed not a good idea to include it. Many other states follow a similar internal site numbering plan, but they are meaningless to location information to our database. This decision came from the top database manager.

73's

Ron

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Just trying to follow the DB rules.....

Site Names
Tower site names shall reflect the actual site name as used by the system, if known. If the actual name does not reflect the nearest local town or municipality, the name of the nearest hamlet, town or municipality shall be added in parenthesis after the site name...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

MILF 2021!!

Yep, pretty silly! This place is going downhill fast...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I will add, some on here try to do a good job and do things right. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case with all...as we’ve seen some lately.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Oh has anyone heard officially yet on what they will do once Hot Springs gets its 3rd site finally done? Will they shut off the "shared" site, or just move a CC over and keep sharing it once the HS TRS is brought online? Trying to pre make plans for a trip to see mom and fam this year.

cajunjerry

I have not been to hot springs in 2 years and I would have thought by now everything would be up and running. It's kinda confusing to know exactly what to put in your scanner. Or hopefully someone will ad it to the broadcastify

Mike445

I have confirmed it is live by a law enforcement officer currently in Hope. Anyone around Hope that can hit the CC? There was a fella named Mike that was in Hempstead County going through all the frequencies.
Not sure if I'm the Mike you were talking about but the Hope site is live. I only live 10 minutes north of it and it comes in okay but as I drive south it really starts to boom in. Coverage was pretty bad for a long time in that area. I had NO idea that site was even there til the other day.

Hearing a new talkgroup the last while. Might have something to do with the 4 States Fair. 34006 off the Wolfe Mountain site.
Mike

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Anyone scan the AWIN sites around the Pope-Johnson-Yell-Conway county area?

Generally the AWIN here for local county SO works just fine, just when you tune into Johnson County nothing is heard.

Is there a rhyme or reason for certain counties continually flip-flopping between AWIN and the analog channels?

jhsands

Feed Provider
Not sure if I'm the Mike you were talking about but the Hope site is live. I only live 10 minutes north of it and it comes in okay but as I drive south it really starts to boom in. Coverage was pretty bad for a long time in that area. I had NO idea that site was even there til the other day.

Hearing a new talkgroup the last while. Might have something to do with the 4 States Fair. 34006 off the Wolfe Mountain site.
Mike

Are you able to get the alternate control channel and all other valid channels? Also, the callsign the repeater puts out?

jhsands

Feed Provider
Anyone scan the AWIN sites around the Pope-Johnson-Yell-Conway county area?

Generally the AWIN here for local county SO works just fine, just when you tune into Johnson County nothing is heard.

Is there a rhyme or reason for certain counties continually flip-flopping between AWIN and the analog channels?

A radio has to be logged into the talkgroup on the tower you are on for the tower to pass traffic. Someone from Johnson County may not be on that tower during those times.

Sometimes analog will go to crap and they stay on AWIN for awhile... then get tired of it and go back to analog so the rest of the community can hear them. Some agencies think they are the only ones that can hear themselves even after you tell them a $30 piece of hardware can listen to them. They are oblivious and think only the radios can listen in... they don't understand talk vs listen.

Mike445

Are you able to get the alternate control channel and all other valid channels? Also, the callsign the repeater puts out?
Well I would be able to if I was in Arkansas. I left Monday to work in Niagara Falls NY for the summer. If the information isn’t there when I get back I will get it.
Mike

slayer816

Premium Subscriber

Forgive me if I missed it with the search feature. A quick question since I don't think this warrants a whole new thread.

AWIN digitally broadcasts a callsign every few mins (at least from the site I can monitor which is 2-14). I've seen Entergy P25 do the same thing. However in a year and a half of running SDR, I've never seen LWIN (our statewide P25 system for those unaware) transmit a callsign.

Is this required?

wbswetnam

Some agencies think they are the only ones that can hear themselves even after you tell them a $30 piece of hardware can listen to them. They are oblivious and think only the radios can listen in... they don't understand talk vs listen.
This is true! I know of some law enforcement agencies that will say "Go to highband" or "Go to state", then tell the details on AWIN that they didn't want to reveal on their regular VHF analog or DMR frequency. Clearly they think that they are not being monitored. Guess again!