AWIN vs. Conventional VHF/UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

From listening to Izard, Stone and Searcy County SO talkgroups on AWIN (15401, 15201, and 15001, respectively) it appears that little actual dispatching is done on AWIN; the talkgroups are used primarily as a tactical channel, with dispatches done almost exclusively on the old conventional VHF/UHF systems. I hear a lot of rather idle "chit-chat", in fact, on AWIN rather than actual police-related traffic. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Maybe sheriff's offices see AWIN as being "experimental" at this point and prefer to use the "old reliable" system for the bulk of their traffic - I don't know. I do know that the radio equipment to utilize AWIN is expensive, much more so than conventional VHF/UHF radios, so probably few deputies are equipped with AWIN radios.

Any thoughts or observations out there on this? (I live in Batesville, incidently, and these are the county SO talkgroups I have regularly picked up.)

aka

Database Admin
I hear a little of both on AWIN.

Some counites I have heard dispatch, some chit chat, some use it primarily for OEM. I guess it depends on the county and the leaders in that county.

I know of one "county leader" that ordered several AWIN radios but has said they will only pass them out "during an emergency." That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard because the "leader" could be injured/on vacation/ out of town/ or any number of reasons and those left to deal with the situation won't have access to the radios. I think he is a real idot but that is my opinion.

Back on topic: AWIN is a great tool for counites/agencies. I see in the most recent AWIN update that the City of Cabot Police/Fire will be using AWIN along with the County/City of Lonoke, Texarkana and Miller County is to use these as well. This radio system is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Everyone seems to be jumping on board.

Most likely, some of the county agencies are "testing" as you said. Look for more and more use out of these AWIN radios in the future.

aka

iamhere300

A lot of time the SO or other agencies in the county cannot afford radios for everybody,
so they stay on the older VHF or UHF system. A lot of times the coverage of AWIN is
nowhere near what the coverage of their older system is also.

Both of those situations come into play in Lizard County.

Status
Not open for further replies.