• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AWIRE Stealth V1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
https://awiretech.com

I just ran across this earlier today. It looks like a Canadian company has a pair of 1 watt GMRS radios that can be control from your smartphone for $198.88. In my way of thinking, that is pretty expensive. Are there other consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios that can be controlled by your smartphone right now?

amphibian

You need to restate your question.... are you wanting to "control" a FRS?GMRS portable/base/mobile/repeater by means of turning it off/on or changing channels, or, are you wanting to "communicate" (transmit voice) over a FRS?GMRS radio by means of your smart phone?.... Controlling is one thing.....communicating is altogether different... Communicating over a GMRS from your smart phone could be misconstrued to be cross banding which is not lawful per FCC. There are some that are attempting to use Zello to communicate over GMRS.... but from what I am hearing from the powers to be is that would not be considered as cross banding. Now to use you smart phone to "control" your radio is all together a different subject.... I think what you are actually wanting to know is communicating over FRS/GMRS with a smart phone.....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually the OP need do no such thing. The link he provided goes to an example of what he is talking about, complete with owner's manual.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
https://awiretech.com

I just ran across this earlier today. It looks like a Canadian company has a pair of 1 watt GMRS radios that can be control from your smartphone for $198.88. In my way of thinking, that is pretty expensive. Are there other consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios that can be controlled by your smartphone right now?

Yes, seems pretty expensive, but I guess if you really want that feature set, someone is going to pay for it.

I haven't seen any similar radios out there that will do this on FRS/GMRS. There are a few that will do it using MURS.
This idea has been kicked around for a few years now. Most of them start off with good intentions but technology and FCC rules get in the way.
Considering you can get a radio with a headset for a whole lot less money, it's hard for most average people to justify the high cost of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.