AZ DPS CID / PHX South question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain343

Are the CID channels assigned by geographical area? I noticed that AZ DPS Phoenix South and CID 1 share the same frequency AND the same PL tone, so I'm guessing CID 1 is not used in this area at all... or is there a mistake in the RRDB?

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I believe that DPS needed a cost effective radio answer when they formed the South Metro District a few years age, they decided to use the CI 1 repeater that was all ready there and provided coverage for the new MS area. It is no longer used for CI Communications.

Mountain343

I debated making a new thread but figured I'd just tag this question on here instead...

I keep hearing a term HBDOC/HPDOT/H2OC .. maybe... but can't see any reference to it on any code list. Is there a list of codes/acronyms that is more complete than others that I should check out and does anyone know what this one is? I keep hearing it on DPS frequencies and it sounds like the dispatcher calls them to check cameras and stuff. I was thinking it was maybe AZ DOT camera watchers? I just don't know.

Also .. We call our CHP CHiPs and CHiPpies ... what do you call your guys.. DiPS and Dippies? ... just curious. :)

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Correct, there are DPS Troopers assigned to DOT Emergency Operations Center. They assist with finding stuff using the cameras.

KB7MIB

HPTOC

Highway Patrol (trooper at the ADOT) Traffic Operations Center. They act as liasion between ADOT and DPS, and can help get the appropriate units to an incident quicker.

DPS troopers are just called troopers.

But...

What do you call a meeting between the California Highway Patrol, and the Arizona Department of Public Safety?

CHiPs and DiPS.

:D (Please don't arrest me.)

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
HPTOC

Highway Patrol (trooper at the ADOT) Traffic Operations Center. They act as liasion between ADOT and DPS, and can help get the appropriate units to an incident quicker.

The old timers don't mind, but the new kids on the highway and their bosses refer to themselves as State Troopers. The Highway Patrol is now an obsolete term. They spent a lot of tax dollars replacing the vehicle markings, their ID cards, and their badges advertising their new identity.

When you can drive across the State on I-40 and never see a Highway Patrol / State Trooper working, it's a waste of money and was a dumb idea [IMO] compliments of the former director, Frank Milstead.

Paysonscanner

The old timers don't mind, but the new kids on the highway and their bosses refer to themselves as State Troopers. The Highway Patrol is now an obsolete term. They spent a lot of tax dollars replacing the vehicle markings, their ID cards, and their badges advertising their new identity.

When you can drive across the State on I-40 and never see a Highway Patrol / State Trooper working, it's a waste of money and was a dumb idea [IMO] compliments of the former director, Frank Milstead.

When I was living in Calif. the CA Dept. of Fish and Game changed their name to the "Calif. Dept of Fish and Wildlife." However the legislature in passing the act doing so specifically stated that no funds could be spent changing the logo on ANYTHING. Stationary letterheads on existing printed paper had to be used until it was all gone, uniforms had the old patch until each employee got a new shirt as a replacement, vehicles had the old logo on them until cars/trucks were replaced, etc. The change of CDF to "Cal Fire" did not have such restrictions, the new logos were all replaced within a year. The name of the agency did not change, It is still the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and when space is limited the agency still uses the initials "CDF." When this change was made I thought, gee we just used to write and say "CDF," 3 letters, now we have to spell out "Cal Fire," 7 letters and a space, now there is progress! At the same time Cal Fire went from the traditional tan shirts with green pants to navy blue. Cal Fire works and has facilities in the mid and lower elevations of California so now their uniforms absorb more heat than they used to. More progress!

Interestingly the Highway Patrol has never been referred to much in that way. It has been, and still is, known as "DPS" and not AHP. DPS rolls off the tongue a bit better I guess. It is actually the Highway Patrol Division of the Arizona Department of Public Safety. I don't understand the need for changing from being a DPS Officer to a State Trooper. They went from a mostly white vehicle with blue striping to gold over black at first. This in a state where it gets pretty hot. Now I'm seeing black over silver, which seems better, but white made more sense.

Paysonscanner

HPTOC

DPS troopers are just called troopers.

But...

What do you call a meeting between the California Highway Patrol, and the Arizona Department of Public Safety?

CHiPs and DiPS.

:D (Please don't arrest me.)

John
Peoria

Very funny, I never thought of it that way! (CHiPs and DiPS). When I went back to CA last year for nearly 3 months to fix up a family property for sale the guy next door related transferring to a ranger district of the U.S. Forest Service that had land in both CA and NV. Everyone in the ranger station started saying he was going to the land of Chips and Nips (NHP). The show "CHiPS" was still on the air at the time, why I don't know. One particularly obnoxious co worker said he was going to the land of "Fruits and Nuts." He said he replied, "you bet, when you eat a fruit or nut, realize it probably was grown in California too, thank you very much!"

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Until 1969, there was the Arizona Highway Patrol and it was a division of the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Starting in July 1969, the Arizona Highway Patrol was transferred from the AZDOT and made part of the new Department of Public Safety.
Thanks to the ethically compromised Frank Milstead, the Arizona Highway Patrol became the Arizona State Troopers because he wanted to poke the collective 'eye' of Arizona Sheriffs.

The black and gold vehicles were test markings and thanks to the notoriety of Joe Arpaio, that livery was discarded. They opted for the silver and black markings which have reduced visibility, cost far more per unit, and frankly look like they belong in Nevada.

I'm old enough to recall when the Arizona Highway Patrol bought their fleet vehicles in random colors and simply had their badge on the front doors and the "Highway Patrol" banner on the trunk lid.

Paysonscanner

I'm old enough to recall when the Arizona Highway Patrol bought their fleet vehicles in random colors and simply had their badge on the front doors and the "Highway Patrol" banner on the trunk lid.

I think I remember that also. Some visitors to the state complained about it, claiming was a trick meant to hide them. Thanks for the history. I do remember the person that headed it up around the 1972-1977 time frame came from California and stirred up some controversy. Seems he had little tolerance for any of the good old boy procedures he found. I don't know the story of both sides. I moved to CA in 1977 until late 2018, so I missed out observing the agency.

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
Generally, highway patrol as a title refers to state law enforcement that is strict jurisdiction to state highways only vs a full service State Police. Wisconsin Highway Patrol is an example of this vs the Illinois State Police. AZ DPS is moving towards a true state police model of enforcement. That's why they changed their name to convey their authority better.

Status
Not open for further replies.