AZ DPS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCSOOPS

Does anyone know what portables the DPS are carrying? I saw one the other day, is it an old G.E. Ericsson MPA?
Do they have others?

P.S. What happened to METRO Live Audio feed? I miss it much!!!

Astrak

Yep, still using old GE radio's. If you're talking about the feed I hosted "Phoenix Metro DPS" I moved out of state and can no longer provide the feed.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
dps radios

Anyone have infor the LONG term plan for DPS. They are currently simulcasting on YRCS. Is the plan for conventional 700, or a mix of piggy back arangements with regional systems?
Or maybe just staying on UHF conventional.

Oh yeah any plans for encryption in the future.......

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
DPS radios

DPS plans on staying with the current conventional UHF. It works all over the state and has been pretty reliable. No plans for encription.

AZ_RADIO

Arizona DPS Carries, GE MRK's Model 2 and 3, Kenwood TK390's. In The vehicles they Typically have GE Orion, and Kenwood 890's. They use Motorola and Kenwood throughout the state, however most equipment is GE.

The DPS UHF system is comprised of Voted repeaters with transmitter steering as well as simulcast in overlap areas (On Mobile stations) However the system is not a true simulcast system.

There are plans to utilize the 700 Mhz spectrum in the next few years, however the state budget is not capable of supporting the transition in the near future. DPS does use encrypted radios on specific special details statewide such as Narcotics and covert surveillance, DES and DES-XL. Some of the Drug Task Forces use P25 equipment with DES-OFB and AES256 encryption, these task forces operate in conjunction with the HIDTA project.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
The system works well enough, and has for decades. Arizona is basically beyond broke, and laying off cops, so spending what would be a huge amount of money going to a cutting edge system state wide would be insane from a budget standpoint. The one issue I do see on the current system is that car to car is done by using the repeater output frequency and that means that an officer could miss calls / info from dispatch. DPS has proved that the decades old systems can still work just fine, while most agencies have thrown so much money away on systems they didn't really even as bad as they could use the cash today.

TCSOOPS

AZ DPS - PL or DCS

Since DPS uses GE/Ericsson and ken wood, Do they then use PL or DCS? If I have a Motorola (for monitoring only) will I get a better signal if I use DCS Codes?
If so, where would I find those codes, all I see are PL. Is there a conversion?
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.