AZDRN Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I’m thinking a few of the freqs on this page may be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

Arizona Division of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

-The only freq I have received (from Ahwatukee) is 139.4375 100.0 PL at full signal. I’m thinking this is South Mountain. It is listed as Mount Elden. Is this freq in use up north?
-I have never heard 139.7125 100.0 PL active. It is listed as both South Mountain and Hualapai Mountain. Is this in use out by Kingman? I have also had reports that this freq is in use on Mt. Eldon.
-Can anyone confirm other freqs on this page?

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I have them in the scanner along with a low band of 46.660 but never hear anything on them. The active Emergency Management I have heard is on the APS statewide trunk system. The talk groups that are active 1168, 1200 & 1232.

KB7MIB

The Towers Mtn 139.350 and Mount Eldon 139.4375 frequencies are both active, I hear them both semi-regularly. They're linked.
There's a net on these two channels a few minutes after the net on the APS trunked system talkgroup.
I have an old thread in here asking about these as well. There's supposed to be nine mountaintop sites around the state, and somehow I doubt that I'm hearing Mount Eldon, by Flagstaff, from my home in Peoria, on my PSR-500, my PRO-43, my ICOM W32A, or even a PRO-2020, all with the stock antennas.

Arizona Division of Emergency Management (ADEM) - Logistics Section

The Maricopa County 47.660 (127.3Hz CTCSS) frequency is active either Thursday or Friday morning with a roll call. I heard it in the past week or two, however the signal strength left a lot to be desired. I've heard it once before, a few months ago, and it had a much better signal.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

47.660 was active at 9:24am local time this morning. The signal quality was crappy. There were at least two stations, one possibly with a female operator (crappy signal quality), the other with a male operator, (good signal quality) who only stated, "I copy you loud and clear", twice.
I was listening on a PRO-2020 with the stock telescopic antenna. The signal was pretty much the same on my PSR-500 as well, as soon as I put it on the channel.

KB7MIB

I'll let you know the next time I catch them active. I know one of the two is slightly better than the other.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
The transmitters also give their location in the morse code, or did in the past. I have heard most of these, although I can't say off the top of my head which ones exactly. I drive around the state quite frequently, but haven't really paid attention to these lately. Perhaps, I'll take another look :)

KB7MIB

I, unfortunately, haven't done anything with Morse Code since I passed my Novice exam in November of 1990. Sad, I know.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
139.4375 in Phoenix broadcasts NOAA radio for about 30 seconds when the "weather radio" tones are transmitted. I have heard this freq active in Phoenix a lot the last couple of days with weather warnings. I'm not sure if the other towers do the same.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
139.4375 in Phoenix broadcasts NOAA radio for about 30 seconds when the "weather radio" tones are transmitted. I have heard this freq active in Phoenix a lot the last couple of days with weather warnings. I'm not sure if the other towers do the same.

Yes, they broadcast those, missing child alerts, and tests of the emergency broadcast system too :)

KB7MIB

In the past I had heard both Towers Mtn and Mount Eldon multicasting. This past week however, I only heard Mount Eldon's 139.4375 during the weekly roll call.
I also searched the 138-144 MHz & 148-150.8 MHz band with the service search of my PSR-500 during the roll call. Mount Eldon was the only frequency heard.
I have also heard a few EAS tests, and a weather alert. I haven't caught an Amber Alert as of yet.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
cellphone said:
-The only freq I have received (from Ahwatukee) is 139.4375 100.0 PL at full signal. I’m thinking this is South Mountain. It is listed as Mount Elden. Is this freq in use up north?
-I have never heard 139.7125 100.0 PL active. It is listed as both South Mountain and Hualapai Mountain. Is this in use out by Kingman? I have also had reports that this freq is in use on Mt. Eldon.
-Can anyone confirm other freqs on this page?

In the past I had heard both Towers Mtn and Mount Eldon multicasting. This past week however, I only heard Mount Eldon's 139.4375 during the weekly roll call.
I also searched the 138-144 MHz & 148-150.8 MHz band with the service search of my PSR-500 during the roll call. Mount Eldon was the only frequency heard.
I have also heard a few EAS tests, and a weather alert. I haven't caught an Amber Alert as of yet.

I too noticed no traffic on Towers lately, but I hear Elden.

The DEMA website refers to a 9 site system. The old sites (per the 10th AZ Freq Dir) were:

CHI Childs Mtn.
ELD Mt. Elden - confirmed 139.4375
GRE Greens Pk.
HUA Hualapai Mtn. - confirmed 139.7125
LEM Mt. Lemmon - confirmed 141.450
MUL Mule Mtn.
SOU South Mtn. - confirmed 139.7125
TEL Telegraph Pass
TOW Towers Mtn. - confirmed 139.3500

As the ID'd sites seem to match the old site list its likely the other tower sites will be similar, if not identical. Just remains to ID the freq and match to the site.

Cellphone: Since the freqs appear to be at least partially recycled across the state, if you can read the CWID, you can ID the site ... the last 3 characters are the site abbreviation, as noted from an AZ AIRS site map:

ANT - Antelope Mesa
AUB - Aubrey Peak
BER - Bernardino
BLR - Black Rock
BRO - Brookbank Pt.
CHI - Childs Mtn.
CHR - Christmas Tree
ELD - Mt. Elden
GRE - Greens Pk.
GUT - Guthrie
HAV - Lake Havasu
HEL - Heliograph
HOL - Holbrook
HUA - Hualapai Mtn.
JAC - Jacob Lake
JUN - Juniper
KEY - Keystone
LEM - Mt. Lemmon
MIN - Mingus Mtn
MUL - Mule Mtn.
NAV - Navajo
NOG - Nogales Hill
OAT - Oatman
ORD - Mt Ord
PIN - Piney Hill
QUI - Quijotoa
ROB - Roberts Ranch
SCH - Schnebly
SIG - Signal Peak
SOU - South Mtn.
SQU - Squaw Peak
TEL - Telegraph Pass
THO - Thompson Peak
TOW - Towers Mtn.
WHI - White Tanks
WIL - Bill Williams
WLB - Willow Beach

Last edited:

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
This is a great list John !

There are some simple free software programs that you can plug the audio from your radio into the computer that will decode automatically for you, if you are not morse code knowledgeable.

Cellphone: Since the freqs appear to be at least partially recycled across the state, if you can read the CWID, you can ID the site ... the last 3 characters are the site abbreviation, as noted from an AZ AIRS site map:

ANT - Antelope Mesa
AUB - Aubrey Peak
BER - Bernardino
BLR - Black Rock
BRO - Brookbank Pt.
CHI - Childs Mtn.
CHR - Christmas Tree
ELD - Mt. Elden
GRE - Greens Pk.
GUT - Guthrie
HAV - Lake Havasu
HEL - Heliograph
HOL - Holbrook
HUA - Hualapai Mtn.
JAC - Jacob Lake
JUN - Juniper
KEY - Keystone
LEM - Mt. Lemmon
MIN - Mingus Mtn
MUL - Mule Mtn.
NAV - Navajo
NOG - Nogales Hill
OAT - Oatman
ORD - Mt Ord
PIN - Piney Hill
QUI - Quijotoa
ROB - Roberts Ranch
SCH - Schnebly
SIG - Signal Peak
SOU - South Mtn.
SQU - Squaw Peak
TEL - Telegraph Pass
THO - Thompson Peak
TOW - Towers Mtn.
WHI - White Tanks
WIL - Bill Williams
WLB - Willow Beach[/QUOTE]

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Great tips guys! 139.4375 100.0 PL is the only freq I can receive from my place. It sends a CW ID "AZNG/SOU". I think we can confirm this as South Mountain.

I'll let my 536 sit doing a conventional discovery from 138.000-144.000 for the next few days to see if I catch any other freqs.

Attachments

• 2014-07-12_13-55-48.zip
    60.8 KB · Views: 100

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
On another note, I think the SWFD might have had the South Mountain and Mt. Edlen freqs switched. I have an unconfirmed report that 139.7125 is Mt Elden. Anyone up by Flagstaff confirm?

KB7MIB

Be advised that in searching the 138-144 MHz band that there is AM air-to-air activity from Luke AFB units mixed in among the FM repeater activity that you're looking for.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Weekly DEMA DRN test

Can anyone confirm the DEMA is still doing testing on Wednesdays at 1000. Not hearing anything in Yuma and since I lost the console, I don't hear it at work anymore.

Also can nanyone confirm the Telegraph freq of 143.4375?
Thanks

KB7MIB

I did recently hear both South Mtn and Towers Mtn carrying the same traffic. It's the first time that I've heard Towers Mtn in a long time.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.