B&E Suspect Captured By RR Listener

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Good job to the scannist who got the job done- this time! Unfortunately nsrailfan is correct. I can just see it now. Scannist gets seriously injured while trying to do the cops job and then sues the department claiming negligence. There is a reason the dispatcher tells you to back off and let the cops do the job.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Cooperative LE

Here is a newsworthy story:....
Although RR was not specifically mentioned, my Ohio County,WV feed was detrimental in capturing a B&E suspect this afternoon... The cops were extremely cold in their search when a listener called 911 to report the suspect's whereabouts and soon thereafter actually apprehended him.

Civilian hears about manhunt on iPhone app; tackles and... | www.wtov9.com

If anyone cares to listen to the archives of this call to Gashell Run Rd , it begins right about noon and goes on for an hour or two.... At first the radio was on scan but soon after the first deputy's arrival, when the foot pursuit began, I locked both radios to the sheriff's TG. Also, the initial deputy was injured and transported to the hospital meanwhile another officer stopped and detained a possible "getaway" vehicle.... FWIW there has been a rash of daytime burglaries in that part of the county recently and hopefully with this incident, the police have the perpetrator....

On occasion, I have called LE concerning various observed violations such as rolling DUI's. As expected, I have received varied responses from a cooperative to dismissive attitude. Most of the time, LE has been quite appreciative of the information received. I would say they tend to exercise a more cautionary position on fugitive apprehension. In fact, this is one of the things they generally say on Crime Stoppers, "Don't apprehend the suspect, let LE do it."

But, I have been quite annoyed by the attitude of some LE agencies when I have attempted to follow a person who has openly violated the law. I have followed suspected DUI's while attempting to call the police on the cell phone.

On rare occasions, I have actually seen LE respond. Most of the time, the coordinated effort of finding a suspected drunk driver results in a comedy of errors. I followed someone across Waco attempting to get LE to pull them over after they attempted to run me off of the road or swerved from shoulder to shoulder. I was lectured on my behavior.

On another occasion, I rolled my vehicle chasing someone who had passed others in the median of the highway, in the grass! I learned my lesson. I was not ticketed because I had a partial license plate to show them after crawling out of my vehicle. Furthermore, the local meteorologist witnessed the entire ordeal and vouched for me when DPS showed up.

My wife was surely not happy with my behavior. I think DPS showed mercy when they observed the facial expression of my wife.

To lighten the mood, I am reminded of Barnie Fife and Gomer, "citizen's arrest, citizen's arrest."

Last summer, I overheard a cry for help on a LE frequency while driving down IH29. The radio operator sounded like they'd been attacked or hurt. I did not know what to do. They kept saying, "somebody help, please help me."

So, as soon as I got to my residence, I immediately searched the FCC DB for a known frequency in the area since I was unfamiliar with the area. Hence, I called and reported what I heard. I even told dispatch the frequency number & time of transmission.

Dispatch was very professional about my attempt to help. But, the RR forum in the area was quite hypercritical of my response stating that I was not helping at all. However, when the dust settled, I received a PM from one of the officers indicating he believed I did the right thing.

In my opinion, public indifference to the efforts of LE is much worse. We all need to do our part. I am thankful the citizen was not hurt.

DCMon

Good job

Good job to the person that helped. I have on several occasions helped law enforcement by reporting (helping) on things they were looking for and never once did they get mad. One was an escaped prisoner. All do to the fact I was able to hear my local police and help them out “legally”.

Ask any Police Officer who has had public help and see what they say about encryption. This nonsense is at the upper levels of departments. They guy at a desk whose job is to “maintain” communications. The joker who is sold a load of equipment that usually does not work has no idea what he is doing and does not really care. Yes, most departments need to be able to encrypt for special occasions but full time is just wrong!

JokeInsurance

Good job to the person that helped. I have on several occasions helped law enforcement by reporting (helping) on things they were looking for and never once did they get mad. One was an escaped prisoner. All do to the fact I was able to hear my local police and help them out “legally”.

Ask any Police Officer who has had public help and see what they say about encryption. This nonsense is at the upper levels of departments. They guy at a desk whose job is to “maintain” communications. The joker who is sold a load of equipment that usually does not work has no idea what he is doing and does not really care. Yes, most departments need to be able to encrypt for special occasions but full time is just wrong!

You should call the DC police chief and tell her how you feel about her proposal if you're already familiar with it.

There are many more documented examples of favorable encounters with scannerists than there are unfavorable. The only thing I would have changed is the "apprehension" part, as the person doing the apprehending had no duty to act and could have placed himself in grave danger. Other than that, a tip to 9-1-1 could have brought closure to an ongoing problem.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Maybe there should be a law against electricity. because someday someone might still have an " illegal scanner " that works.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Texas Department of Criminal Justice: "On the ground"

I will never forget the day I was traveling back to the Houston area after attending a TDCJ meeting in Huntsville, Texas. Since I worked in the Texas prison system, I had most of the frequencies programmed. I might add this was before Huntsville joined the Starnet system, the original Harris County TSY.

I was going southbound on IH45 when I started to hear the chatter on the TDCJ & Walker County frequencies. All of the sudden, I noticed a car running between the service road & interstate. I heard they were chasing someone who was "on the ground." This TDCJ escapee was also armed. I heard gunshots and proceeded to get on the other side of an 18-wheeler. They finally caught the crook, but it was a bit scary for a minute or two. I was unarmed at the time.

This is one time I steered clear of the action!

This is one time I steered clear of the action!
Glad that worked out. That's exactly what I use the scanner for these days - wherever the action is, that's where I don't want to be, lest I get sucked up into the works. I'm happy listening from a distance and making sure my family and I are safe from whatever it is I'm listening to.

scnnr

Good job to the scannist who got the job done- this time! Unfortunately nsrailfan is correct. I can just see it now. Scannist gets seriously injured while trying to do the cops job and then sues the department claiming negligence. There is a reason the dispatcher tells you to back off and let the cops do the job.

I would agree with you there.

Great to call 911 and pass on information but the good Samaritan could have just as easily been shot or knifed. It could have been a tragic result as well.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Vicarious Thrills

Glad that worked out. That's exactly what I use the scanner for these days - wherever the action is, that's where I don't want to be, lest I get sucked up into the works. I'm happy listening from a distance and making sure my family and I are safe from whatever it is I'm listening to.

Yes, & I never heard the sound of a pistol from afar. It sounded like a pop. I might have mistaken it for a firecracker. Now, I know this is highly dependent upon the weapon and caliber, but nevertheless, it was a sobering experience. I have done some mighty stupid & risky things in my life. Hopefully, I have profited from experience.

At present, I am monitoring surveillance operations. But, I would be a fool to go near that area since they are running plates on most vehicles coming into the area. Furthermore, I would not want to jeopardize their operation with a stupid move on my part.

Yes, it is best to stay home.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I can recall a few occasions when I have assisted my local PD by using a scanner.. One time there was a suicide call that was being routed through 4 different agencies. The gentleman was in his garage speaking with his son on a cordless phone, The son called his local 911 comm center to report the incident, I heard this call on my scanner and heard the units moving in on the subject, who had a loaded 12guage shot gun pointed straight at his head.... They were having issues relaying the information from the son to our local units, So I called up the dispatcher, asked him if any of his units on scene had a scanner with them... He asks me to wate a minute or so, And I hear him call on the tac channel to the commanding officer to ask if anyone had a scanner, the unit radioed back to dispatch advising them that yes a unit did infact have a scanner. So I advised the dispatcher of what frequencies to search to pick up the subjects phone... They ended up finding his call, and were able to Listen the subject and his son. The dispatcher thanked me for providing the information to him, and the PD units were able to make quick decisions on scene to eventually dissarm the subject and get him the assistance he needed. As I have read on here, there are a lot of oppinions that differ when it comes to the assistance of a LEO via a civilian with a scanner. The bottom line is that some of us out here can provide much needed help, It just depends on the department. I agree that it's wrong for these crooks to be out there with these instant reception applications that are available via smart phones. Maybe the apps should be less easy to get, possibly require a per month fee to use, and be restricted for use by "pre-pay" type phones. Encrypting general dispatching is just pointless. Tactical channels, Sure.. Those should be encrypted for officer safety, No questions asked.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Suicidal Ideation, Risky With Teens

I can recall a few occasions when I have assisted my local PD by using a scanner.. One time there was a suicide call that was being routed through 4 different agencies. The gentleman was in his garage speaking with his son on a cordless phone, The son called his local 911 comm center to report the incident, I heard this call on my scanner and heard the units moving in on the subject, who had a loaded 12guage shot gun pointed straight at his head.... They were having issues relaying the information from the son to our local units, So I called up the dispatcher, asked him if any of his units on scene had a scanner with them... He asks me to wate a minute or so, And I hear him call on the tac channel to the commanding officer to ask if anyone had a scanner, the unit radioed back to dispatch advising them that yes a unit did infact have a scanner. So I advised the dispatcher of what frequencies to search to pick up the subjects phone... They ended up finding his call, and were able to Listen the subject and his son. The dispatcher thanked me for providing the information to him, and the PD units were able to make quick decisions on scene to eventually dissarm the subject and get him the assistance he needed. As I have read on here, there are a lot of oppinions that differ when it comes to the assistance of a LEO via a civilian with a scanner. The bottom line is that some of us out here can provide much needed help, It just depends on the department. I agree that it's wrong for these crooks to be out there with these instant reception applications that are available via smart phones. Maybe the apps should be less easy to get, possibly require a per month fee to use, and be restricted for use by "pre-pay" type phones. Encrypting general dispatching is just pointless. Tactical channels, Sure.. Those should be encrypted for officer safety, No questions asked.

I looked up Fostoria and learned that the population is around 13,000 or so individuals, right? In smaller communities, I believe there is sometimes more cooperation between citizens & LE. In larger cities, such as Houston, not so much. The red tape seems to be longer and more pronounced.

Sometimes, it is tempting for me to pick up the phone and tell officers how to deal with a suicidal subject or someone who sounds floridly psychotic. When someone has stopped taking their anti-psychotic medication & their condition warrants compelled medication, having SWAT outside only reinforces the delusional activity.

Since I live near Ft. Hood, the local police are sometimes clueless about how to deal with a dissociated soldier who has not received effective PTSD treatment. Of course, the treatment history is not always available to them. However, Waco PD keeps a log on their calls. Typically, they tell responding officers about the call history of a residence and whether or not weapons are inside.

Some, soldiers have been shot and killed when they have clearly evidenced a dissociated state of mind.

Dealing with an impulsive & self-destructive teen is very dangerous endeavor. Sometimes, it does not take much provacation to trigger suicide, particularly with a weapon present. Some teens are prone to self-injurious cutting behavior & not auto-lethality. Still, this takes patience and specifialized training.

I believe you did the right thing by calling the police and offereing assistance. I was impressed with your recommendation that they use the scanner to intercept the cordless.

I appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
Your welcome on the comments, It was actually in the City Of Findlay, Which is 13 miles due north east of fostoria. Findlay's population is a bit bigger. The dispatcher was actually quite surprised of my call and welcomed any assistance they could get. I advised him of the cordless frequencies, Which I am sure went on a board somewhere for future use in narcotics stings.... Never the less I continued to monitor the situation until they were done, and heard some of the units talking back and fourth being appriciative of the help. They knew who I was too, and took the information seriously. Suicide calls are defenetly high risk, And no 2 are ever the same. I can see though how a bigger city would not be as responsive to the assistance of a scanner listener, But for those of us who have been doing it so long, Me.... since I was about 12 years old so 16yrs for me... It never hurts to have an extra set of eyes out there. While I would agree chasing after a subject and taking them down should be left to the pro's... Sometimes a person can just be at the right place at the right time to assist. I have called the dispatchers and advised them of locations for point 19 drivers...(drunk) and they seem to be fairly appriciative of that too, The less fuel they have to waste looking for these guys the better.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Surprised Dispatcher

Scannerhead (forgot to hit quote):

I am still laughing about your comments on the surprised dispatcher.

So, have you ever been traveling & heard you name or license plate come over the radio? What do you do in that situation? I can surely assist officers on my behalf. In fact, I know more about me than they do.

I am definitely not shy. In the past, when I've heard my name come over the airwaves, I have called dispatch, pronto.

The length of my hair, beard, and antennas tends to elicit their attention. Ha.

But, I will surely assist LE when I can help them.

Last edited:
I actually work for the company that programms and services radio systems for 8 counties in northwest ohio. They all know me pretty well. And never typically bother me. I always get waves from everyone. I myself am an amature radio operator and assist in ARES as well as Hears (hancock emergency amature radio service) And run on skywarn. Most of the LEO's know me from working scenes. But yeah I have about 6 antennas on my truck and since I program the radios they all hear my voice. Now I can just key up on a mutual aid channel and be an extra set of eyes if need be. But yes, Ironically the dispatcher had no clue that you could listen to cordless phones with a scanner, apparently nether did the pd unit who had the scanner. I told him after seeing him at a later time that baby monitors use the same freq's as cordless phones. Another interesting tip is that most... And I stress the word MOST of the 2.4ghz and higher phones still tx a birdie freq in the 900mhz range. So it don't matter how high the GHZ on the phones are, they are still using 900mhz freq's. So I am sure that all the detetives around are using scanners to do steakouts for drug raids... you would be surprised in the volume of people who are completely oblivious to the fact that their convorsations can be tracked with no modifications needed to the scanners. Most drug dealers have kids, and have baby monitors and have no clue they are essentially bugging their own houses.... Gotta love technology!!

Status
Not open for further replies.