Baby montior

Status
Not open for further replies.

okccsi

I use the Summer Infant baby monitor and am having a problem. I have been trying all of the known frequencies and can't pick any of them up. We have had this over a year. I would like to leave the receiver in the bedroom next to the bed for my wife, and use one of my scanner's while she is in the office.

Could I have one that is operating in the 800 or 900 mhz range?

Thanks for the help.

OKC CSI

Sac916

okccsi said:
I use the Summer Infant baby monitor and am having a problem. I have been trying all of the known frequencies and can't pick any of them up. We have had this over a year. I would like to leave the receiver in the bedroom next to the bed for my wife, and use one of my scanner's while she is in the office.

Thanks for the help.

OKC CSI

Provide the exact product name and model number and perhaps we could find out.
From my quick research, scan the 900 range. Without a doubt, the instruction booklet will state the frequency range.

rbm

okccsi said:

Thanks for the help.

OKC CSI

Could be. Is it listed here? They carry a number of models.

Summer Infant Products Summer Infant Baby
Quiet Sounds 900 MHz Color Handheld Baby...

Their links expire pretty fast!
You'll have to search for 'summer infant baby monitor' on their homepage. They have 900mhz and 2.4 ghz models.

http://www.allegromedical.com/home.do

Last edited:

okccsi

Found it.

Baby's Quiet Sounds™ 900 MHz Audio Monitor. Don't know if I can pick that up or not.

OKC CSI

okccsi

I need to learn how to set my search limits on my scanners and do it that way. I think it will be in a listenable range, just have to find it.

OKC CSI

okccsi

Well, search ranges were easy. I set 900.000 to 956.000

I found my neighbors on 927.5000. Wasn't hard to miss that one with the mobile playing very loud in the background. Wonder what else I might here?

Still though, holding mine in my hand and standing next to the scanner, I can't find mine. I don't think it is any type of DSS, since it has a selector for Channel A or B.

Anyone have any ideas?

OKC CSI

okccsi

Ok. The neighbors are on 927.500 and it is clear as can be. I have been trying and trying on mine and finally found something.

925.8750 - 925.9375 gives a very static filled signal. The beginning and ending freguencies I listed are the weakest with 925.9000 being the strongest. Even still, it is weak and filled with static. Also, if I send a kid up to talk into the monitor, it tends to cut-out and I can't hear anything on the scanner. The actual monitor though produces good quality sound.

I am lost on what to do. Do I need an 800mhz antenna on the scanner? I am using two different ones to pick up the signal. One is on an external 24hz-1200mhz general scanner antenna that is on top of my house at about 35 feet and the other is the stock telescoping that came with it. The one on the outdoor antenna is a BC895XLT and the one using the stock antenna is a BC890XLT.

The only issue I see with needing an 800 mhz antenna is that I can pick up the neighbors just fine. I also found another neighbor on 949.0875. It too comes in pretty good with little to no static.

Help me!

OKC CSI

rbm

If you're close, you don't need a special antenna. It may be transmitting a wide FM signal. That may be why it cuts out when someone makes a noise near it. It may be clipping out of the passband of your receiver.

You can search the FCC web site using the FCC ID number. However, it seems to be down at the moment.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

Just enter the FCC ID number from your unit. (You may need microscope to find it.) It's usually pretty small and hard to read.

That will tell you exactly what frequency that device is approved to operate on. Normally they have some technical documents there as well.

If you have any trouble, just post the FCC ID number here and I or someone else will look it up for you. (Assuming that the FCC search page comes back up.)

okccsi

No FCC ID to be found. The only numbers on the monitor are the ones I posted earlier, which are model numbers. Any chance it could be because it is Canadian?

OKC CSI

Correction: PZK-02120T

Should have looked on the transmitter...duh.

Last edited:

okccsi

Ok. FCC shows it to be 904 and 916. That would be the two channels it has. I did get a hit on channel A on the 916 setting, but don't remember anything at the 904 mark.

Going to go try again.

OKC CSI

okccsi

Ok. I tried the freqa shown, and then went through all of their test paperwork and tried all of the ones that show up in there, and still nothing.

Wideband FM? Someone help me please!

OKC CSI

rbm

okccsi said:
Ok. I tried the freqa shown, and then went through all of their test paperwork and tried all of the ones that show up in there, and still nothing.

Wideband FM? Someone help me please!

OKC CSI
The lowest channel: 903.760
The highest channel: 915.960

The bandwidth is considerably wider than your typical public service frequency.

So, set up your scanner for Wideband FM and search between 902-917 mhz. You should be able to receive it. Though you may not be able to decipher it. If your scanner only receives narrow FM, you may not hear anything other than some very distorted/garbled audio.

KD5WLX

Narrow FM depends on the service you're talking about, but typically 10-15kHz. Wide FM is generally avoided for two-way comms work. It's what commercial FM stations use for broadcasting stereo music. I'm not sure of the width, but I'd expect it's at least "triple" - two sides for the stereo, but wider than the standard "narrow" signal for fidelity reasons.

However, in the two-way context it is relative - there's a deal in the works to tighten up the public safety bands. People that were 15kHz wide are being told to "retune" to be under 12kHz, so as to put freqs on 12.5kHz spacings (the 800MHz standard) on the lower bands, since it doubles the number of available channels. In that context (that is, on more recent two ways and receivers designed for listening to two ways) "narrow" is <12.5kHz and wide is the older 15kHz spacing.

It's more likely just that your scanner is too sensitive and is being overloaded by a strong local source. See what happens if you take the antenna off?

okccsi

Just a bit more confused now then I was before.

I don't think the scanner will scan with the antenna off. Nothing around here uses those signals areas, so I can't see it being overloaded by a stronger signal.

I am using a 890XLT, 895XLT, and an 898XLT. Can any of these be set for scanning Wide FM? If so, how?

OKC CSI

KD5WLX

A 1/2 watt transmitter at 5 feet will overload almost anything. Keep in mind that your scanner is designed to receive 1/2 watt signals at a range measured in miles.

Any sensitive receiver, especially one with a broad front end (ie, ANY scanner or general coverage receiver) will be subject to overload if the source is very close.

Taking the antenna off reduces the received signal strength to something that the scanner can deal with. It may or may not tell us anything, but if it WORKS with the scanner off, then (1) you know the freq your monitor is using to Tx and (2) you know the reason that the scanner wasn't getting it earlier was overload. The reverse is not true - if you get nothing w/o the antenna, you've really not determined anything at all, since the problem might be that you still haven't found the right freq, or whatever else.

Status
Not open for further replies.