Back After a Long Absence

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

My PSR-500 turned up after being misplaced for a long period of time. Probably not the best long-term solution, but I can put it up for the live audio feed, but I do have a programming question for those familiar with the PSR-500/600.

The previous feed was a netcam aimed at the radio combined with audio, delivered via ustream.tv

I have a premium sub here and Win500 software, and I want a better solution for separating the agencies and having control over the radio. I also happen to have a pocket PC phone (Sprint Touch Pro2) and there's a new pocket PC client to go along with Win500 so that's really cool stuff! I just need suggestions from this experienced community on how to set it all up.

Fire away!

KC9NEG

Guys, I did some experimenting this evening and quickly realized a few things about monitoring MECA.

Carrying around a HH and trying to monitor this system on the west side of Indy is all but pointless. A quick look at the tower locations tells the story very clearly--I'm close enough to equidistant from several towers that multipath is simply killing me here. I took my PSR-500 and connected the Laird Y8063 antenna I was using for the feed and started pointing it around. When I aimed for the tower on the NW side, bingo! MUCH better reception. Directional antennas are the key to monitoring happiness around these parts.

Moral of story: Why carry a scanner with a non-directional antenna and put up with crappy comms when I can set things up right and monitor and control the scanner remotely? Yep, my PSR-500's going online soon, folks!

Viper43

I found in some areas of Indy a stubby antenna works best, cuts out the simulcast issues.

KC9NEG

Just did a killer MECA 1 reprogram using RR database and Win500 in preparation for going back online. I'll share/explain it tomorrow--too tired now.

KC9NEG

MECA 1 Programming (GRE Scanners)

Here's my PSR-500/600 MECA 1 .p500 (Win500) file for your listening pleasure :)

This file makes use of all 20 scan lists, so it's geared toward monitoring MECA 1 exclusively. Scan lists 1-17 represent the 17 sub-groupings of TG's (IMPD, MCSD, etc.) in order, straight out of the RR database. Scan lists 18-20 are for all police, all fire, and all EMS. I did this because some sub-groups (e.g. Speedway, Lawrence) contain both PD and FD TG's.

The startup display has a place for your name, tel. no., and amateur radio callsign.

Suggestions welcomed, as this is what I'm thinking for the live feed, and I'll have the pocket PC client on my cell phone so I can manipulate scan lists as events dictate.

EDIT: I created group and private wildcards, but they're locked out by default as all they seem to receive is encrypted transmissions these days (known encrypted TG's aren't included in the programming). Also, I'm trying to save for a PSR-600 as I don't particularly want to put my HH online 24/7.

Attachments

• MECA 1 04102010.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

KC9NEG

Forgot to mention--the alert LED has been "toned down" in both brightness and color makeup to make the scanner much less obnoxious in a darkened room or vehicle.

Last edited:

KC9NEG

The MECA 1 feed is humming along now, sending tags. I'll be attaching my FreeSCAN programming for the BCD96XT to the next message. I programmed four groups with quick keys: Police, Fire, Medical, and Misc. It's a good start for anyone around here, and exactly what the feed is running. If anyone sees a radio setting or whatever that can be improved, I'd appreciate a heads-up via PM or here in this thread. Simulcast reception issues remain, but it's not too bad. I'm sure it can be improved by tweaking--all help greatly appreciated.

W9NES

Todd, thanks for the infomation.I adjusted my P-25 waiting time to 400MS on my Uniden 396T and now my Uniden 396T is getting everything just fine on MECA. Still hear a little warbing but not as much.Tested your idea today on Sunday 4-18-2010 around 12:00PM. Sounded great at 86Th and Zionsville Road over to 71St and Georgetown Road by Pike Fire Station 111/Headquarters over to 71St and Michigan Road. Again when I got to 79Th and Michigan*There was no Control Channel* but after I went north of that location to 7988North Michigan Road in front of the Indianapolis Humane Society the control channel was great and the audio was loud and clear.I could hear IFD Dispatch and all of the IMPD Districts along with Beech Grove,Speedway and Lawerence PD. *Question for all* Does anyone have any ideas to pass on to me for my settings for a Uniden 996T,Uniden 796D, and a Radio Shack Pro-2096 and a Radio Shack Pro-96 with a *Gain antenna* for 800Mhz rubber duck from Radio Shack.All help would be appreceited from members of this fourm at large.Thank You, Tim DeLong W9NES* Montoring all of Metro Indianapolis/Marion County,Central Indiana*

KC9NEG

Glad it helped, Tim. I've done more experimenting with P25 level since then, and I still like 200 (8) best at my location.

The BCD996XT is one HELL of a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.