Back in the game with a new scanner - BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake69

Premium Subscriber
Hello! Hope I am posting in the correct forum...

Well, I just now purchased a BCD996XT to replace my Pro-2096 I lost in Hurricane Irene when a tree snapped the house in half, taking out my entire computer room (lost a good amount of electronics there... :( ). I read the reviews on this model and downloaded the PDF manual (was a little hard to find), and decided this would be a worthy replacement. Now I searched Google for issues or problems with this unit and am really not seeing anything, so I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips, tricks, or issues with it. I also ordered software and a USB cable from Amazon for direct programming, but as I understand it, once the frequencies are loaded into the unit the GPS system will change locations as I move to different areas or states (I also have a mount in my Jeep for mobile scanning).

Thoughts? :D

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
A good place to start is the Wiki: BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

If you're not familiar with Uniden's DMA, be sure to read the article on that - it's the core of how these radios have their memory organized.(There's a link on the Wiki page)

Another link on that page is Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual - an excellent resource for programming and using the radio.

There is a ton of info in the forums here, search the Uniden forum as well as the regional forum for where you live.

By the way, most things are applicable to both the BCD396XT and BCD996XT equally. (it's pricey to have both, but it's absolutely the way to go if you monitor both portable and base or mobile. They are closely related in function.

Not sure what software you purchased. I use Freescan for mine, but I'm sure there is also support and info for what you have.

The major tip I have is "be patient". These are complex radios and it may or may not take awhile to grasp everything the radio has to offer. It took me awhile! Once I "got" how Uniden organizes things, it's become a snap.

Enjoy!

mibzzer15

I also ordered software and a USB cable from Amazon for direct programming, but as I understand it, once the frequencies are loaded into the unit the GPS system will change locations as I move to different areas or states (I also have a mount in my Jeep for mobile scanning).

Just a heads up, it sounds like your talking as if you may have thought that the BCD996XT comes with a GPS unit. It does not. You need to buy an external GPS unit for it to do location-based scanning.

Drake69

Premium Subscriber
CORRECTION: I actually still have a Delorme Earthmate GPS USB that I think I can get a USB-RS-232 cable for. I will have to look into that,

Status
Not open for further replies.