Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

saratojo

I was a scanner maven in Boston way back in the 60's and 70's using Bearcat (I think) or maybe Radio Shack scanners that used crystals. It was fun, but life got in the way and I lost interest, mainly due to other life pursuits.

In 2002 I retired and we moved to the Phoenix area. I bought a Uniden BCD396T and BUTEL programming software ARC396PRO (pre-version 1) and a Radio Reference Preferred Subscription. I managed to get the 396T working pretty well. I wasn't very happy with the reception but it was working OK. Then life got in the way again, and we became very busy with other things.

Life has returned to normal now and I find myself with plenty of time for play. So I got out the 396 and started playing. First I upgraded the firmware from 1.0xx to the current 3.0xx version. Then I got the latest BUTEL ARC396PRO and found my original license still worked fine. (Good on Butel!) Bought another RR subscription and I got the radio programmed how I want it (although I am still playing).

Reception was still spotty, so I did some web searching and decided on buying the Diamond SRH77CA antenna to replace the stock rubber duck. Wow! What an improvement! I am very happy now with the reception and am enjoying listening once again.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
What would upgrading to a BCD396XT get me?

InlandAZ

How does that antenna do on the 800MHz sites and do you need to attenuate them? I've been looking to upgrade the GRE 800MHz antenna, which I believe is a unity gain antenna, with something like the Diamond SRH77CA.

saratojo

I'm a user but not an expert.
I have no clue what "Attenuating them" means.

I unscrewed the bcd396t stock antenna and screwed in the diamond.
I get hugely better reception on all the trunked police and public service systems that I listen to - mainly scottsdale, phoenix, glendale, and maricopa county.

Status
Not open for further replies.