Back of the set or base antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordland

Do you need the big base antenna high up on a mast listening to APCO 25......or is the back of the set antenna sufficient?
Im new to digital trunking...so Im asking questions.:)

K9GTJ

Nordland said:
Do you need the big base antenna high up on a mast listening to APCO 25......or is the back of the set antenna sufficient?
Im new to digital trunking...so Im asking questions.:)

Nothing special about digial (or digitl trunking). You just need radio signal and that may or may not require something more than the supplied antenna.

I can listen to the Indiana SAFE-T digital system on the BCD996T with the supplied antenna just fine.

Nordland

kokomo1 said:
Nothing special about digial (or digitl trunking). You just need radio signal and that may or may not require something more than the supplied antenna.

I can listen to the Indiana SAFE-T digital system on the BCD996T with the supplied antenna just fine.

It just seems like Im picking up some really far away places for just the supplied back of the set antenna....Im only about a mile down the road from the Tower....would that make a difference?

red8

Either one would work, because the antenna does not know
what the signal is digital or analog. All it does is to receive the signal.
It's the scanner that decodes and produces whether the signal is
analog or digital.
red8

Nordland

red8 said:
Either one would work, because the antenna does not know
what the signal is digital or analog. All it does is to receive the signal.
It's the scanner that decodes and produces whether the signal is
analog or digital.
red8

That makes sense....I reckon I was thinking more into it than there is!

K9GTJ

Nordland said:
It just seems like Im picking up some really far away places for just the supplied back of the set antenna....Im only about a mile down the road from the Tower....would that make a difference?

How far are you defining far away? What system are you monitoring?

In Indiana, the SAFE-T system is a state wide system. The towers in each county typically rebroadcast the traffic from the neighboring counties. This might give the preception of hearing things far away.

Nordland

kokomo1 said:
How far are you defining far away? What system are you monitoring?

In Indiana, the SAFE-T system is a state wide system. The towers in each county typically rebroadcast the traffic from the neighboring counties. This might give the preception of hearing things far away.

Well Im picking up Battle Creek...which is about 40 miles down I-94 from me...and its as loud and strong as the police here in town?
Afraid to hook up the diamond discone....if the lil antenna is working so good?

N4JNW

Try the Diamond Discone. If the small back of set antenna picks it up good, then the Diamond is guaranteed to. Plus, with the Diamond, you're likely to pick up more, and the weaker things you hear will become louder with more clarity.

Diamond is Win Win situation.. I say go for it.. Then compare if you're still unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.