Back to Scantenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTV

Well I am back to using a Scantenna.I have had all kind of LPA's,and discone's and for the performance
and price you can't beat a Scantenna!!! From 30-1000 mhz this antenna can't be beat. I am using mine with 100ft of LMR 400 and an adaptor from Type F-male to Type N female.Eventually I will try 75 ohm
1/2" low loss cable with a direct connection to an F connector. On UHF air I am picking up as much(ground controllers) as I would using a LPA with 6db of gain....Figure that one out!!!!

For what it is worth....
Jack

walterb

Premium Subscriber
until I get my shortwave antenna up, I'm actually using my scantenna for it. Last night I was able to pick up the ncdxf beacons in Venezuela, NYC, California, Hawaii, and New Zealand. Not bad for a scanner antenna.

http://www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html

I noticed that a few years ago---the Scantenna does do a decent job on shortwave broadcast. Oftentimes, signal to noise ratio is more important than big signal.

JayMojave

Hello Jack:

Yeah that Scanntenna is a good one. They were not made too well a few years back, but I beleive the manufacture upgraded the construction quality.

I use a Dimond Discone and it works well for me. After the roof gets replaced I will have both a Modified Scantenna (made from all new better materials) and the Discone feed into a Combiner/Divder and will try that.

I don't belive the Log perodic beams have a 6 dB gain all over the band they cover. Many manufactued antennas are properly designed but use cheap and lossy matching systems that will lose gain in the antenna.

Jay in the Mojave

1979lee

scantenna?, i got one and its very good for what i listen to, i got mine up around 27 ft, but i just used the rg6 that came with the ant, lmr stuff, wow i gotta try that sometime, poor on 800 mhz, but thats not to important to me yet.

af5rn

I use a Dimond Discone and it works well for me. After the roof gets replaced I will have both a Modified Scantenna (made from all new better materials) and the Discone feed into a Combiner/Divder and will try that.
I'll be interested in how that works out for you. Most of the time, it is a miserable failure that leaves the user wishing he had saved the $$ he spent on the experiment. It usually results in worse reception than either one of the antennae used individually. But if you find someway to optimise the performance this way, do let us know!

hoser147

For the money I like mine, its nothin looks wise but it gets the job done. I too am using the coax that came with it, but plan on upgrading it. Use it for mostly PD Fd on the 150s and 800mhz, no complaints here, it does seem alittle directional for me. Good Scannin Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.