Back To School

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

I had fun the rest of the day listening to the scanner. But I recall that with fond memories waiting to hear my school being closed after a blizzard or close to it.
Scanners weren`t available when I was a kid; I got my fun on those days from shortwave listening and ham radio (had a novice and later a technician class ticket, which expired the year I immigrated to Canada).

School closures also earned me some money, aside from my paper route. A couple of friends and I would go looking for cars stuck in the snow, and team up to free them. We usually got tips for that. Or we`d go into the snow removal business; three of us would get those driveways cleared pretty quickly, and I can remember being rewarded with hot chocolate and cookies by at least one homeowner.

CrabbyMilton

That's right I forgot you're in Canada. There are still some common universal frequencies in use for both of our countries.

GB46

That's right I forgot you're in Canada. There are still some common universal frequencies in use for both of our countries.
True, for example the marine VHF frequencies and those on the air bands. FRS and GMRS frequencies are also shared in common, which, after all, is important, as those radios aren`t even manufactured in either country. Then there`s CB, which is called the General Radio Service here, but uses the same 40 channels.

Wdsracer

Does any of my Canadian brothers or sisters on the Lake Ontario shore have a GMRS radio and want to try to hit my repeater over here in Rochester,NY? I would imagine you would need to be fairly close to the lake but I am up high over here near Rochester. let me know if anyone is interested and I will give you the details. I talk all the time to my Canadian friends on the Ham bands.

Mike_G_D

Does any of my Canadian brothers or sisters on the Lake Ontario shore have a GMRS radio and want to try to hit my repeater over here in Rochester,NY? I would imagine you would need to be fairly close to the lake but I am up high over here near Rochester. let me know if anyone is interested and I will give you the details. I talk all the time to my Canadian friends on the Ham bands.
I don't think repeater operation on the Canadian equivalent of GMRS is allowed in Canada. I could be wrong but...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't think repeater operation on the Canadian equivalent of GMRS is allowed in Canada. I could be wrong but...

It's not. Canada doesn't have a GMRS allocation for the 467MHz primary input frequencies. There version is 22 channels, 8 primary and 14 "FRS" channels (from the US point of view).

They are also limited to narrow band FM (2.5KHz deviation), 2 watts maximum and non removable antennas.

palmerjrusa

Was monitoring school systems today.

Two banged heads at recess.
Fight in the 8th grade hallway.
One throw-up requiring janitorial assistance.

Listening to the bus drivers coordinating with the dispatcher to get all the students to school is like listening to a military operation in full swing, especially when a driver radios for backup = requests a school administrator be present when I arrive at the school😮😁😮.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Since I have a 996P2 with DMR and NXDN the school listening is fantastic just as you mentioned, busses give traffic reports to the others and on those systems provide text on who is talking

Status
Not open for further replies.