Back to Tulsa - OKWin (P25) vs. OKWin(Mot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hello All - moved back to Tulsa and know they have both the OKWin (P25) and OKWin(Motorola).

Been listening to what I can on OKWin(P25) for Tulsa PD.

Is there a reason or should I even mess with setting up the OKWin(Motorola) for Tulsa area - anything still there worth listening to?

Thanks.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
It's the same on both systems, depending on your P-25 reception if you need to load Type II or not.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
After being in Tulsa several times and all around the city I have had no problems listening to both PD and FD on the OKWIN P25 I.
In fact our work radios wont even affiliate using the SZ II analog system anymore so not sure if that system is even useable up there. Tulsa has been P25 I for a long while now.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Yes Tulsa Fire is missing from Type II, but everything else TPD, TCSO is on there. Where I'm at I get a lot of interference on P-25 from Tulsa's sites, I get Coweta fine but TPD doesn't use that tower. I have better luck with TPD Type II on a BC780XLT than P-25 on a PSR-600 or TRX 2.

OK956

Yes Tulsa Fire is missing from Type II, but everything else TPD, TCSO is on there. Where I'm at I get a lot of interference on P-25 from Tulsa's sites, I get Coweta fine but TPD doesn't use that tower. I have better luck with TPD Type II on a BC780XLT than P-25 on a PSR-600 or TRX 2.

You might be the guy I need to talk to. I too get a lot of zero reception issues monitoring TPD despite only being in a city directly north of them.

I was curious where there tower is exactly so I could figure out if it's a terrain issue. I've also noticed they are using the alternate control channel and not the primary.

Can you further explain how you are achieving better luck on type II with your 780 vs the P25?

It might be the solution I'm looking for after already trying two different mobile antennas. First a Larsen Triband and now an 800 band specific from Laird.

peterjmag

The 2 sites in the City of Tulsa for OKWIN are The Williams Center in downtown and 61st and Sheridan. They run simulcast.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
My 780 is running an old RS center loaded telescoping whip on the back of the unit. I have a 796D next to my PSR-600 and TRX-2 all running off a Scantenna roof mounted antenna and the 796D gets all of TPD on OKWIN, while the others struggle on the P-25 system. I get OHP, Wagoner PD and SO, Coweta and TCSO fine on the Coweta P-25. You might try the Owasso P-25site and see what you get.

OK956

My 780 is running an old RS center loaded telescoping whip on the back of the unit. I have a 796D next to my PSR-600 and TRX-2 all running off a Scantenna roof mounted antenna and the 796D gets all of TPD on OKWIN, while the others struggle on the P-25 system. I get OHP, Wagoner PD and SO, Coweta and TCSO fine on the Coweta P-25. You might try the Owasso P-25site and see what you get.

Yeah I've plugged the TPD tgid into the Owasso tower and no luck. However I did find TCSO and Troop B also use Owasso tower which has given me 100 percent reception for those at least.

So on my Uniden BCD325P2 probably no way for me go your method huh?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
My uniden 996P2's are good in the cars, but that because I'm moving around vs. stationary. You can load both systems in the 325 and try to work with that.

OK956

The 2 sites in the City of Tulsa for OKWIN are The Williams Center in downtown and 61st and Sheridan. They run simulcast.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

That puts both antennas almost 20 miles from me as the crow flies. I wish they had an antenna closer.

OK956

Thanks. I'll see what I can figure out.

Alright. I plugged in the old motorola system control channels and the id's. Its receiving. Not as clear as the P25 but does seem to be more reception friendly and not as finicky.

Can't wait to give it a try this week when I go mobile. You may have just solved a huge problem of mine with all my dead zones in Owasso. If so... Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.