SDS100/SDS200: Back-Up the SD card to my computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks83

I Remember DOS
Is there a way to Back-Up the information on the SD card to my computer ?
I back-up my computer four different ways but I don't see a way to back-up the scanner's SD card.
I guess I could pull the SD card and insert it into my computer and try that way but that seems risky.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
It's not risky if you know what you're doing. Just make sure you unmount the SD card after you done backing up to computer.

I use this method all the time

Other people on hear said use the supplied cable that came with your scanner to write and update to scanner. Or in your hands backup to computer

Last edited:

bucks83

I Remember DOS
Are you saying the Sentinel program writes EVERYTHING from the SD card to a folder on the computer as a back-up ?
I'm looking for a way to preserve the SD card info just in case the SD card gets corrupted.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It is no different than using an USB drive to copy data. If you take the card out of the radio, use an adapter for micro SD to USB or as has been suggested, connect with the cable to the radio.

MStep

Backups (and updates) are necessary, but either method puts wear & tear on your radio. Using the cable with the miniature connector has to be done very carefully so as not to put excessive wear on the contact points inside the radio's female connector. And never leave the cable attached to the radio once done--- I have seen some disasters with folks tripping over the cable and wrecking the connector within the radio.

Taking the SD card in and out of the radio also puts extra wear on the card holder and card slot mechanism.

Hopefully, in some future version of the Uniden series, someone will design built-in in wi-fi so that database updates can be done from the Internet wirelessly. In the future, Bluetooth might be another option to get the info from Sentinel from your laptop or desktop into the radio without having to make a physical connection.

The consensus is that most guys use the cable rather than taking chances with the SD card slot.

Hit_Factor

Are you saying the Sentinel program writes EVERYTHING from the SD card to a folder on the computer as a back-up ?
I'm looking for a way to preserve the SD card info just in case the SD card gets corrupted.
Yes he is. No need to backup the SD card. Just make a spare occasionally if you are really nervous. You can do that without the SDS. Just need Sentinel and a microSD card reader.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Depending how the scanner is used, there could be files that Sentinel may or may not capture. For example, audio recordings and discovery sessions.

I am reluctant to remove the SD card from my 436/SDS 100 as the SD card holder can be finicky. I can copy everything in my SD card to either a hard drive on the computer or a thumbdrive which is connected to the computer. When I connect the scanner and computer and select "Mass Storage", I can go to my Windows Explorer which will see the scanner as an external drive. I can copy the files as desired.

It is a slow process as compared to removing the SD card and using a card reader. However the time I save is offset by fighting to get the SD card back in place.

I would NOT make a copy of the SD card in the scanner to another SD card for a spare. If there are problems, then they may be carried to the spare card. I'll take the spare card, format it then Clear User Data and lastly do a write to scanner (card is in a card reader).

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Is there a way to Back-Up the information on the SD card to my computer ?
I back-up my computer four different ways but I don't see a way to back-up the scanner's SD card.
I guess I could pull the SD card and insert it into my computer and try that way but that seems risky.

Aside from what others have said (and they are correct)...

It's the same as any other 'flash drive'. Just connect it and copy of contents to your PC in a backup folder. To restore, copy it back to the card.

No need to remove the card from the scanner, but it will be slower with the card in the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.