Background static

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-WeB

Is there always background static sounds or a little bit of humming? I installed a radioshack ground loop isolator and it didn't seem to change anything noticeably. Is there a specific direction it needs to be installed in? Is it possible it's a bad isolator? The sound is like an engine in the background, a real fast "whom whom whom whom" sound... However it isn't the cops engine because it happens even when dispatch is picked up.

I would also like to know if there is interference between scanners and other equipment such as routers, modems, or telephones. When I listen to the scanner itself and not my feed, it sounds for the most part crystal clear.

J-WeB

I guess after listening to quite a few other feeds it is somewhat normal. The only people with crystal clear feeds seem to have rather extensive antennas and setups.

Moving my scanner a bit further from my router seemed to help a little with the thumping sound. Now it is just regular background static that I assume is normal.

richtidd

Database Admin
Is there always background static sounds or a little bit of humming? I installed a radioshack ground loop isolator and it didn't seem to change anything noticeably. Is there a specific direction it needs to be installed in? Is it possible it's a bad isolator? The sound is like an engine in the background, a real fast "whom whom whom whom" sound... However it isn't the cops engine because it happens even when dispatch is picked up.

I would also like to know if there is interference between scanners and other equipment such as routers, modems, or telephones. When I listen to the scanner itself and not my feed, it sounds for the most part crystal clear.

Your feed audio sounds very good.
No noise etc.
Good audio level, no distortion.

The sound you are hearing is the sound of the system you are scanning.
It is them, not you & not much you can do about it.

davef3138

Feed Provider
If some of the channels have PL/CTCSS/DCS on them, there's a chance that's what you're hearing as well. If your computer speakers have good bass response it can be quite annoying at times, especially with the higher-frequency PL tones.

Some sort of audio high pass filter or graphic equalizer might work to filter it out between the scanner and the feed PC. I don't have any examples of specific products though. Here's a wikipedia article explaining it:

High-pass filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

J-WeB

If some of the channels have PL/CTCSS/DCS on them, there's a chance that's what you're hearing as well. If your computer speakers have good bass response it can be quite annoying at times, especially with the higher-frequency PL tones.

Some sort of audio high pass filter or graphic equalizer might work to filter it out between the scanner and the feed PC. I don't have any examples of specific products though. Here's a wikipedia article explaining it:

High-pass filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you talking about the really high pitch beeps? I am not sure what it is, but it seems to only occur right before they say, "medical emergency".

davef3138

Feed Provider
Nope, the high pitch beeps are probably just part of their alerting process and/or the tones that activate pagers.

The sound I'm referring to would be heard during every transmission on a given frequency and would typically be present until the transmission ends.

At my workplace, the maintenance radios run a PL tone of 203.5. It's rather annoying when listening to a scanner with decent speakers connected. The commercial radios filter this out before it goes out the speaker, the the end users don't hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.