Bad Audio Output on BCD396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

Put in another amplified speaker in the car so i could run my 396T with a little more volume to it, installed a MFJ-383 which is a 6 Watt max amplified speaker.

Anyways, once it was installed, plugged it into the 396T (power to the speaker obviously) and began to scan with it. When it begin to output audio (was listening to a P25 system, full reception, high gain antenna and very close to the tx tower) and the audio coming out of the speaker sounded like the treble was overpowering the speaker (like the input audio level into the speaker was too high), to double check this i made sure that the volume was set around 3-4 on the handheld, and the volume was at about 50% on the speaker. Anyways, let it scan for a couple more minutes and every so often, without touching the scanner or speaker, the audio would suddenly become nice and clear for 2-3 seconds then go back to sounding like crap. At first i thought right away that i got a defective speaker, so i tried plugging other things into the speaker, ipod, blackberry, laptop....all three worked fine at all volume levels, no distortion at all.

So after elminating the speaker as the problem what could it be? Also, as a side note i am running off batteries, i dont know if running off the 120V adapter would make a difference, but they are fully charged batteries, so i dont see why it would make a difference.

Another side note, when running audio through the speaker on the handheld it sounds pretty normal and free of major distortion.

Any input appreciated.

Maybe try plugging the scanner into some other device with the audio jack(computer if you scan at your desk), and see if it does it, sounds like maybe your cable or the output jack on the scanner might be acting weird. Keep eliminating factors like you where, try a new cable if you have one.

Just a side note too, I run my 396t on batteries all the time, plugged into the stereo in my vehicle, and it works just fine, and seems to extend the battery life considerably, compared to using its own speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.