SDS100/SDS200: Bad battery, any way to restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
“You're good, the fact it's working means you have no problem because once it starts to split at the seams it stops working.“

Not necessarily so. My 6S iPhone’s LI battery started to swell-an obvious swelling, bulged out the case. I took it to the Apple Store. The phone still worked but the guy took one look at it and swapped out the entire phone. Good thing I had everything backed up to the cloud! I have not heard of the Uniden batteries going bad... yet...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
“You're good, the fact it's working means you have no problem because once it starts to split at the seams it stops working.“

Not necessarily so. My 6S iPhone’s LI battery started to swell-an obvious swelling, bulged out the case. I took it to the Apple Store. The phone still worked but the guy took one look at it and swapped out the entire phone. Good thing I had everything backed up to the cloud! I have not heard of the Uniden batteries going bad... yet...
I had that happen on an Android phone but it was one of those Mosby battery cases. You put the battery into the case and the case is a backup battery so when your phone goes dead you throw the switch and then it charges from the case and the phone continue to work after that warped and split but I had to remove it because otherwise I would have never gotten the phone out.

I don't know if one of these sds100 small batteries has actually warped while in the radio, my guess is it would stop working but it certainly wouldn't be good for the radio.:p

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's the one, and I don't think we've ever heard about the problem again after Uniden was notified.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Seelling of the battery isnt good at all. Like any lipo battery it will either poof-up or start a fire. Please be careful on that one. Lipo fires are nasty.
Assuming a battery being used would be noticed if the radio didn't work right, thus discarding the battery before it gets too bad ...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So it seems like it's the small battery that had the problem of swelling, perhaps Uniden insured that it wouldn't happen in the larger battery.

I'm sure there are more larger batteries in radios right now and a majority of the small batteries are in a drawer. Now we have stored small batteries failing as the op reported.

Perhaps in time through attrition the danger will subside... I know I have not done much with my small battery other than use it once in a blue moon and it's sitting in a drawer.

Mmmm... I wonder if that's a good place for it, maybe I should put it in a metal box or something ;)

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Anyone looking for a spare battery and charger, I got mine at factoryoutletstore.com $59.95 & free shipping.
Search for Uniden then EBC100.

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
I bought a Battery from Batteries America, and it was NOT up to standard, a lot less power and the charge did not last as long. FYIO

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Had a similar problem with an electric shaver battery--too discharged for the internal charger to want to try to charge it. I have a power supply with adjustable voltage and current limits, and set the voltage to 4V and the current to 300mA. I connected it directly to the battery, let it trickle charge overnight, and now it works fine.

Swelling is definitely a bad thing, if the battery is swelled just dispose of it. The more charged it is when it fails, the more violent and spectacular the failure will be.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Had a similar problem with an electric shaver battery--too discharged for the internal charger to want to try to charge it. I have a power supply with adjustable voltage and current limits, and set the voltage to 4V and the current to 300mA. I connected it directly to the battery, let it trickle charge overnight, and now it works fine.

Swelling is definitely a bad thing, if the battery is swelled just dispose of it. The more charged it is when it fails, the more violent and spectacular the failure will be.

Gee, I wonder now. I have a shaver I bought like 4ish years ago that I have never opened since I bought it as a spare. I wonder if it's still viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.