• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bad noise in radio please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apgibby

Installed radio in my car with wilson antenna. I am getting a steady hum of about 7 on meter. But only on every fourth channel. Vehicle on the noise exists. Vehicle off and its quiet. With the vehicle on i disconnected the antenna and the noise went away. So confused?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Installed radio in my car with wilson antenna. I am getting a steady hum of about 7 on meter. But only on every fourth channel. Vehicle on the noise exists. Vehicle off and its quiet. With the vehicle on i disconnected the antenna and the noise went away. So confused?

Tell us about your installation.
Where is the power for the radio coming from? Where, exactly is it connected?
What type of antenna are you using? Permanent mount, magnetic, trunk lip, etc?
What brand/model of car?

I agree, sounds like interference from the vehicle itself. Shutting the engine off resolving the noise points to that. Disconnecting the antenna suggests that it's noise being picked up by the antenna or feedline. Sometimes these can be easy fixes if it's a simple installation issue. Other times its the vehicle itself.

Apgibby

Stock hr2510 through cigarette plug. Wilson lil wil magnet mount on trunk. Chevy sonic. I didnt go battery direct no easy way unless i drill firewall. If i do go battery direct and get a wilson 1000 will that correct my problem? Im still dumb founded by only having the problem ln some channels only with antenna plugged in though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Stock hr2510 through cigarette plug. Wilson lil wil magnet mount on trunk. Chevy sonic. I didnt go battery direct no easy way unless i drill firewall. If i do go battery direct and get a wilson 1000 will that correct my problem? Im still dumb founded by only having the problem ln some channels only with antenna plugged in though.

Cigarette lighters are not ideal places to get the power. The wiring for the lighter plug is bundled in with a lot of other stuff in the car, including CAN bus data network, other noisy electronics, etc. Coming directly off the battery really is the right way to do it. Finding existing paths can take some work, but so far I've never had to drill a fire wall in 30 years of doing this stuff.

But...
Since the noise stops when you disconnect the antenna, it indicates that is where it's coming from. Some things you can try:
Move the antenna to a different location and see if that helps.
Reroute the coaxial cable away from other wiring.
Ground the radio chassis directly to the vehicle body with the shortest path possible. Do not rely on your coax or negative power lead for your RF ground.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I will go out on a limb here. Do you have a USB charger widget in your car?

Apgibby

I am going to do it the right way. Go through firewall and get a wilson 1000. The lil wil is not the best for a 2510 anyway. Will post results. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, he's got a good point. Some of the switching regulators in the 12 volt to 5 volt USB adapters can be very noisy. My son has a USB adapter for his Nintendo Switch that he uses in the car. It'll interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system in my wife's car. Won't impact the VHF radio, though.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am going to do it the right way. Go through firewall and get a wilson 1000. The lil wil is not the best for a 2510 anyway. Will post results. Thanks
A certain antenna is not good or bad for a certain radio. The match versus mismatch would be frequency based. If the LilWil is just not a great CB antenna, then so be it.

slowmover

A certain antenna is not good or bad for a certain radio. The match versus mismatch would be frequency based. If the LilWil is just not a great CB antenna, then so be it.

A 2510 is pretty old now. Let’s assume it’s new: A Radio capable of “more” than a Lil Wil can deliver. RX or TX.

I’d also borrow another radio to plug in as a form of test.

Status
Not open for further replies.