Bad Pro-96?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron6000

I have a Pro-96 that all of a sudden doesnt catch all transmitions. I mainly monitor a Project 25 system and I will hear a call 1/2 way throught the transmition or I wont get it at all. I reprogrammed the Freq via Win96 and same results.My firmware is the 1.4. I have a Pro-106 that sits next to my 96 so I know the channels are active. Do I have a bad scanner or am I missing something when I am programming it. If it's bad I'll have to send it in for repair at RS. Does anyone have feedback on there customer service.....price/ turnaround times?

Thanks in advance!!

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
I just had my PRO-106 repaired, turnaround time is about 2 weeks (in my case), and price was fairly high, but they had to replace my main board. The nice thing is you pay $20 to send it in for repair and that goes towards the repair cost. They also only evaluate the radio and then call you for an authorization for repairs with cost. When you pick up the radio from the radio shack you dropped it off at you pay for the repairs at that time. Hope this helps.

Doug

jamesa53

Just out of curiosity, when you manually tune to a CC on the 96, what is the percent decoding?

You might compare this with what the 106 is getting by manually going to the CC and selecting Analyze (F3).

Both scanners should receive the same, at least my 106 and 96 do. The 96 has to have the CCs set to MOT as well as the bank. Make sure none are Attenuated.

Iron6000

Jamesa53,

Thanks for the reply. I have all my control channels on the 96 to MOT. I am getting a different percent on both scanners. My 106 usually stays at 99% with an occastional drop. My 96 has a few numbers:

BEE00 - which is on average around 80-86%
SY19A - which i've seen go from 70 - 80%
T0101 - Which seems strange because thats usually around 80%, but I have seen it read 00%

The scanner with cycle through each one of those to where as my 106 will stay with one percentage.

I did purchase a 800 mhz antenna for the 96 hoping it would help, but it doesnt.

Thanks again

Swipesy

Just a shot in the dark but does the P-25 System you are monitoring with the Pro-96 require a special table? The Pro 106 converts automatically but you have to manually program the table for the Pro-96.

Iron6000

I've had this scanner for about 4 years and has worked great. It just started acting up within the last week or so. It seems that I hear everything on the DPS dispatch but my fire and PD channels act up. Still torn about sending it back to RS, not sure what I should do.

freqs

Hey iron6000 my 96 motorboats all the time on Warren TRS iam down at 9 and Van Dyke the 106 does better .how close to the Police Station are you ? mine acts up if I get close to that repeater thats there it over mods bad .But I had sent mine in last year to get the antenna connection on the inside fixed it helped alot

nodak1crdet3

Pro-96

I had the same problem with my PRO-96 back in 2008. I sent it to Radio Shack to be repaired. They charged me $49.00 to repair it, and it only took a couple weeks. I didn't pick it up right away, so that's why the 2 weeks.

Here are the Technicians comments, Repaired PC board trace. Repaired PC board connections. Calibrated unit for proper accuracy. Unit checks OK. Customer concern corrected.

My PRO-96 is still working.

7Mile & Van Dyke area.

rgv1971

Pro-96

Just a quick question. I am trying to listen to Parker County P25. I programmed the 4 tower sites into 1 bank. Each set of frequencies is divided by a blank channel in my scanner. I drive through weatherford daily and hear nothing. Should I split the sites into other banks or is there just no traffic. Any information would help.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.