Bad reception of CSP Site 9 (H & W)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhoto

I'm mainly in the Hartford area and cannot get good reception on the H & W site. I can pick up 6 (C & K) and 5 (F) like I'm sitting next to a tower though. H & W talkgroups roam over to those sites enough that I don't really miss anything, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences that same thing? It's kind of curious that there isn't a single Hartford county site except for #8 which only lists a single control channel for frequencies.

a417

U+0000
The geography shadows Hartford, all those tolland towers have a rough time getting into the city from the north and east, so that would explain why you are hearing fringe coverage. Since site 9 is predominantly N & E of the city, you'll get better coverage at 84 & 384 than you will at 84 & 91.

If you ever want to visualize it, go to Wickham Park hilltop and look west...you're above hartford and all the hills are at your back. All that RF is shadowed by what you're standing on.

PhillyPhoto

That makes sense, just ironic that the site you would think would cover the area isn't actually the best one. I would think they would at least have a site at the capitol building under site 9.

a417

U+0000
There's not a lot they cover in the city, with H being over there at Park & Cedar...they've only got the highways really.

cg

Premium Subscriber
There is very good coverage, the signal strength is very good. The issue is the ability to decode the simulcast digital signal
H has transmitters where you would likely be hearing C & K from, Jon Tom Mountain in Glastonbury. There are also ones at Talcott, Bradley Airport, Somers, Rocky Hill & Wolcott. All these sites need to be in perfect sync with each other and, since rebanding, they have not been.
Keep in mind that a consumer grade scanner will not hear the system as well as a portable which will likely not be as good as a mobile w/ an outside 800MHz antenna.
System users can regularly be heard complaining about coverage but usually moving a bit works to clear it up.

chris

JimmyMac

Premium Subscriber
Good evening,

I really haven't heard much from Troop W but I hear Troop H loud and clear down in Madison.

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Madison, you are probably monitoring Troop F's Site 5 on 853.5625 and not Troop H Site 9 on 853.2625 which is having the issues. If you are hearing them on 853.2625, it may be that you are far enough away where you are only getting one tower and therefore don't have simulcast issues.

chris

bobmich52

I Listen with a 396 T & HP 1

I live about 15 miles East of the river & pick up both troop H & W base & mobile no Problem

I Have Troops H/W/K/C Programmed in both, Along With All Of The Side talk groups,

Locked out all of the other troops, Other wise I Would Be Listening To Nothing But CSP All The Time, & Not Catch Any Fire Ems etc

PhillyPhoto

I must be in a dead spot. Looking at the H & W control channel in SDR# shows barely anything for a signal, but both C and F are relatively strong.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The other thing to try would be to attenuate the signal. I have to do that to hear CSP traffic at my home. Mobile is another story, I cannot get H to work well so I use either B or C/K

chris

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
I am in Bloomfield right on the side of Simsbury Mountain. So Troop H comes in perfect. Troop W doesnt say much sometimes late at night so you aren't missing much. Being on the side of the Mountain sometimes B and L dont come in well. I think they point their antennas west. That's a guess on my part. since all the antennas I believe are physically on the same antenna farm. When I go mobile into Simsbury then H, L, B all come in perfect. Troop C & K just make it depends on the weather. In a perfect world I would love to hear all the locations but wont happen at my location.

Alec

Status
Not open for further replies.