BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bad Reception, send in or firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
While I have my 436 sitting next to my 396 both with stock antennas, both radios will stop on a distant VHF station and the 396 will be readable but the 436 is all static. I have read many posts saying the 436 is the most sensitive receiver that people have owned. I am not seeing that, in fact it is quite the opposite. Is it possible this may get fixed in a firmware update or should I send it in for repair? If few are having the issue, I am thinking it is not a firmware thing.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Have you tried switching antennas to make sure both scanners are on an even plane as far as what kind of antenna they are using at some point?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Understood, thanks.

It sounds pretty cut and dried, your 396 is more sensitive than the 436.

I've seen many posts here where sensitivity suffers after installing the newest firmware. I'm not sure this has been addressed by Uniden but if it was good before then I can't see why a new FW version can't restore it. Question is when this will happen, I have no idea.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
There is something posted I've seen about restoring the older versions of the firmware. The site with all versions on it was Openuniden.com I believe. Not sure how you do that though. Looked at it one day and clicking on it gets you a text screen full of code instead of a dl.

One of the members on here was running it. Hopefully someone will point out the thread or the member himself will check in and can supply more information. You might be able to roll the firmware back and see if that helps. Instructions on how to do it would be helpful too. :)

It seems to work real well for me fwiw, I'm picking up more than with my GRE on same outside antenna.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I installed FW v1.01.00 and didn't notice a huge difference. I didn't have much time to test though. Is it possible that the 396 is just a better at pulling the voice from the noise? On weak signals the 396 sounds great while the 436 is a lot of static with the voice in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.