Bad Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

higherground

Good morning everyone.

I am beginning to believe that I may have bad reception in my area. I hope this not the case. I have a Bearcat (TrunkTracker IV) BCD996t Uniden Scanner. I am happy with this scanner, but I know it offers more than what I am receiving. When I use it in my car, I can pick up many frequencies, but when I return home to add those frequencies into the scanner, They will not come through. The antenna that I use is a Outdoor Scanner/Ham Discone Antenna. I just bought another antenna two days ago, hoping this will help me receive better reception in my area: (The Antenna Craft ST2 scanner antenna receives 30 to 1300 MHz covering the major scanner bands. I need some advice before breaking my bank. I live 6 miles from the airport, and I would love to get ground control.

Thanks for listening!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Freqs like ground control are usually optimized to work in the local airport area and not much beyond that. Depending on your terrain, physical obstacles, the height of the transmit antenna and the power used (these are just some of the factors), you just might be out of range. You didn't say how high your antenna is, but for something like this, height may just make the difference. I would also look at your coax; at VHF air freqs, you don't lose much with cheaper cable, but the higher in frequency you go, the more it costs you.

73 Mike

higherground

Thanks from Higherground

I did fail to mention that my antenna is located on my rooftop. Can anything help to bring me closer to frequencies that I pick up around the city in my car, but not at home? Also, 73 Mike, are there higher frequency coax cables I can buy, that may help?

Thanks again,
Higherground

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
er...73 means 'best regards'

Before anyone can answer that we need to know where you are. Go up to the User CP which is found under the thread title in the blue toolbar on the left, and fill in your location - County/City/State will do nicely. Let us know where you are driving towards.

That way folks local to you can answer your question. That includes getting better quality coax, as there may be suppliers local to you. 73 (best regards) and HH (Happy Holidays) Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.