Bad wreck in Clay,AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 10:15 Center Point Fire responded to a 1 car MVB on Cavern Road in Clay. Engine 4, 5, Rescue 2, 5, Battalion 1, Car 15, Car 14, and Car 16 are on scene so far. Lifesaver has just landed in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot. Reported to be 3 trapped in SUV which was overturned in a ditch with 1 DOS as of 10:58.

Last edited:
Two are being transported to UAB via lifesaver with an ETA of five minutes. Rescue 4 is now on scene with other units. Rescue 2 is en route to UAB with third victim. I'm guessing that 4 people were in the vehicle with one DOS and that the initial report was only 3 people.

I hate to hear about something like this anytime but even more so on a holiday. The roads here in Clay have gotten a reputation among Clay residents for being dangerous and the sheriff's department really can't do anything, they say that they are already stretched thin as it is.

Last edited:

TechnoDave

I have a friend that lives on Cavern Road. I know she and a few friends went to the fireworks last night. I heard this call go out... as the details got worse, I tried to call her.... no answer. I tried again in 10 minutes... no answer. Said a prayer. About 15 minutes later she called me back. It was not them..thank the good Lord. I told them to find an alternate route home.

So sad to loose someone on a holiday, because that holiday will no longer be the same.

TechnoDave

From the Birmingham News:

Pinson woman dies in traffic accident
Posted by Carol Robinson -- Birmingham News July 05, 2008 11:33 AM

A Pinson woman died Friday night in a traffic accident while on her way home from watching fireworks.

Diane McCay, 46, was killed and her husband and brother seriously injured when the 1984 Ford Taurus ran off the road while traveling south on Cavern Road in Trussville, according to Jefferson County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Randy Christian.

The Taurus landed nose first into a large ditch, then flipped and rolled until it came to a rest on the driver's side in the driveway of 7026 Cavern Road. All three people inside were trapped, Christian said today.

Center Point Fire Department had to remove the roof of the car to free the occupants. McCay was pronounced dead at the scene. Her husband, Marlin McCay, 54, had severe head trauma and was flown by Lifesaver helicopter to UAB Hospital. Her brother, Kenneth Robert Ferns, 48, of Michigan, was taken by ambulance to UAB.

Christian said investigators are trying to determine who was driving the car, and if alcohol may have been a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.