Baffled...meaning of "DK" ackronym

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQLU507

So I know it means intoxicated...but for the life of me I can't figure out what in the heck DK actually stands for! Worked field EMS and SO, and 3 years in 911 (all in Georgia). Never heard the term till I moved here. Inquiring minds want to know!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I'd considered that, but I'm like "nahhhh, they'd be more original than that" LOL Thanks!

Think of it originating in the days when the officers had to write reports using pen and paper. Quick and effective abbreviation.

I could be wrong though. I'm not a cop. But I've never heard DK used in any other context in over 25 years of scanning.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
>I could be wrong though. I'm not a cop. But I've never heard DK used in any other context in over 25 years of scanning.<
You're correct.

WX0BPR

Thanks for clearing it up LOL, they use it here in Minnesota too, its been bugging me too and like others never heard it used in many years of scanning.

Bob_61

So I know it means intoxicated...but for the life of me I can't figure out what in the heck DK actually stands for! Worked field EMS and SO, and 3 years in 911 (all in Georgia). Never heard the term till I moved here. Inquiring minds want to know!

Here in Enfield,Ct. The PD would use DK driver for of course Drunk driver and ETOH (Ethyl Alcohol) for someone who is drunk in public.

BKE

Here in Enfield,Ct. The PD would use DK driver for of course Drunk driver and ETOH (Ethyl Alcohol) for someone who is drunk in public.

I hear ETOH and DTOH onboard all the time, figured that was what it stood for, would DTOH be drug related then?

Spud

DK, EtOH, etc.

I was a LE officer in CO long ago and DK was used as shorthand for drunk in written reports.

EtOH is the correct chemical shorthand for ethyl alcohol and MeOH is the shorthand for methyl alcohol (the bad stuff for comsumption).

Never heard or saw DTOH used. Unless it has been seen in print, it may have just been heard as a mispronouncing of EtOH on the radio.

The Spud

Status
Not open for further replies.