Ball mount on a Jeep for 2 Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrass8410

Hello all. I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler. On each side above the tail lights is a Radio Shack ball mount. On the passenger side I have a 102" whip I use for CB. On the drivers side I have an unused ball mount that I am considering to use for 2 meters with the Opek VH-1220 5/8 wave antenna. Will this ball mount work with the 5/8 wave or will the ball and coax lug connections create a problem with the SWR?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you keep the leads short where they come out of the coax shield, that shouldn't be an issue. The issue you might see is issues with the very lopsided ground plane as well as blocking by the vehicle body. Tuning might be a lot of work.

It's surely worth a try, especially on a Jeep where mounting other types of antennas can be a challenge.
I have a co-worker with an old CJ-5 and he finally just drilled a hole in the middle of the hood and put a 5/8th's wave antenna there. Getting a good ground plane under the 5/8ths wave is pretty important for best performance.

dbrass8410

In that case would I have better results just using a plain old quarter wave? I am not too concerned about range as a majority of the repeaters around here are very easy to reach even with an ht. Just concerned about SWR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Getting the antenna up above the body is your best bet. A simple 1/4 wave on the roof/windshield is going to outperform a 5/8ths wave hidden mostly behind the body.

LtDoc

I agree about getting the antenna -above- any surroundings. It isn't the 'height' (not much gain in height there, 2 - 3 feet?), it's getting the antenna in a place where it's less 'obstructed', in the clear.
And just for grins. Using that ball-mount means that the antenna on it will increase in length by the length of that ball-mount (4"?). So it wouldn't be a simple bolt it on thingy, you'd have to shorten the antenna a bit. See how that works?
- 'Doc

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I'd skip the ball mount for 2 meters. Grab a 1/4 wave mag mount and try it out on the hood/ front fender/rear fender well inside the tub/upside down from the roll bar/heck, anywhere it will stick. Then you will know where to attach a more permanent antenna should you decide to go that route.

dbrass8410

Thank you everyone for the input so far. I will certainly take everyone's advice into consideration when figuring out what/where I am going to put my antenna. I will be sure to follow up with my findings.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I had a Larsen on-glass 2m antenna on my YJ's windshield. It worked well, and it was easy to unscrew, when I need the overhead clearance.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
If you do end up putting the antenna on the back of the jeep (instead of on top) - use a 1/2 wave antenna. The performance of a 1/2 wave antenna does not rely on an RF ground as much as the 5/8 and 1/4 wave do (have a look on the web for the technical details and theory).

As a practical matter, I had a 5/8's on the back of my Jeep and it performed badly. I changed it out for a 1/2 wave and I have been quite impressed with the great performance for such a crappy location.

dbrass8410

If I understand you correctly ShawnInPaso a half wave would be 39 3/8 including the ball mount correct? Also did you take SWR measurements?

W3DMV

Another option for you would be a New-tronics (Hustler) cg-144. Since you already have a big
whip on one side. This is a big antenna (7 foot) with a 3/8-24 stud that will screw into your
ball mount. it's a 5/8 wave over a 1/4 wave antenna and works well. Have used one for years.

Several on E-Bay and I think DX Engineering sells new ones.. Good luck

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
If I understand you correctly ShawnInPaso a half wave would be 39 3/8 including the ball mount correct? Also did you take SWR measurements?

I didn't do the math for the half-wave because I am using an off the shelf product, the MFJ 1412 . As others have said, the jeep becomes the obstacle. The MFJ 1412 performs very well and I have it mounted such that about half of it extends above the roof line (the antenna folds over so I can actaully park in the garage at night). :)

If you really want a ball mount, you can always replace the existing ball mount with one that has an SO-239 on it and stuff an antenna of your choosing onto it.

Here's a picture of my former Diamond 5/8 wave 2 meter / 440 antenna (you'll have to click on it for a larger view to see the dual band antenna, the other antenna is for a scanner). I replaced this 5/8 wave antenna with the MFJ 1/2 wave and the results were immediately obvious.

I have not checked the SWR but did use a watt meter to check the forward vs. reflected output (very little reflected power).

Cheers.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I found this one out on the intertubes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386906264.384864.jpg obviously it's a TJ instead of a YJ but I'm sure something similar could be achieved. That one looks like a 2m/70cm antenna. You could adapt that style mount to SO-239, 3/8"x24, or NMO.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Firestik makes a fender mount for TJ and up (should work on a YJ). I just ordered one for a friend's JK so we can put a UHF radio in her JK. Have to drill the mount out to 3/4" for the NMO mount but that's not a big deal.

Medic115

Now tell me where to find the mount pictured

I found this one out on the intertubes. View attachment 43898 obviously it's a TJ instead of a YJ but I'm sure something similar could be achieved. That one looks like a 2m/70cm antenna. You could adapt that style mount to SO-239, 3/8"x24, or NMO.

I came on tonight just for the answer to this question, and lol the answer was here.

dbrass8410

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I ultimately put a 1/4 wave hole mount on the hood. I will probably be sticking with just 2 meters for now as there isn't much space for aerials. Once I get more established I might move up to a dual band radio for the Jeep. I don't no how long this Jeep is going to last either as it is getting older and as much as I try to fight it, corrosion is very slowly taking it's toll.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Whole tubs, as well as body panels are available. Check the catalog(s) of your favorite Jeep after-market vendor(s).

Sent from Tapatalk

dbrass8410

Beleive it or not the tub itself is actually in very good condition. The undercarriage is the issue. Frame, springs, axle tubes etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Hustler also makes another ball mount 3/8-24 antenna, the SF-2.
I have used that antenna in the past, and been very satisfied with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.