Baltimore City Police Encrypted soon

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
A letter was sent out by BPD's tech support services to neighboring and partnering agencies inquiring about their capabilities to support encryption. And BPD's transition to the APX platform for all portable radios is in the near future. Beyond that, only speculation.

empire550

Premium Subscriber
It seems to be the way everyone is going. I would be surprised if everyone doesn't eventually go encrypted.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If departments insist on full encryption (based on unsubstantiated justifications,) they should be also fund data retention personnel to manage the data and process FOIA requests, or better yet, a new accountability agency should be created to remove the appearance of impropriety. This is one of the hidden costs of encryption.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This is an effort by the police department to control the message - nothing more. I am not a city resident, but if I were, I would be letting my elected officials know what a bad idea this is. Police departments have a poor record of transparency, and this will further erode that record - and public trust.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Its simple local Govt.. If you can't stop the bad news just pretend it doesn't exist.

boatbod

The biggest barrier to full encryption is going to be the cost of licenses for every radio and those of surrounding mutual aid jurisdictions. Seems rather at odds with recent "defund" leanings.

ab3a

This will end badly for the Baltimore City Police. Right now, they're still trying to rebuild trust with the community. Meanwhile, they're going to encrypt all radio traffic. Even if everything is above board, the political optics are terrible.

Mark my words, there are activists and enthusiasts who will take this on as a challenge. I don't see how the encryption effort will end well for the beleaguered city police.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
With cell phones and the already encrypted talk channels available, there is no need for 100% encryption. By the way, I'm retired from BCPD. Due to my prior position, I had the luxury of having the dispatcher shut off the repeater when I had certain info I didn't want other police or media to hear. We were on the 450 band at that time. Can they do that now with a trunked system?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
With cell phones and the already encrypted talk channels available, there is no need for 100% encryption. By the way, I'm retired from BCPD. Due to my prior position, I had the luxury of having the dispatcher shut off the repeater when I had certain info I didn't want other police or media to hear. We were on the 450 band at that time. Can they do that now with a trunked system?
No. Shutting down a repeater would affect system capacity and other potentially other users like the FD. But they have mobile phones and handheld alphanumeric devices if they want to use them. This is not really about infosec. This is about appeasing the police union and control of the message / avoiding embarrassment by department leadership.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I had the luxury of having the dispatcher shut off the repeater when I had certain info I didn't want other police or media to hear.

Our local police used to do that as well. All it accomplished was to keep other offers from listening. The rest of us just tuned to the input of the repeater and listened in.

u2brent

OAMPT

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This probably has nothing to do with it.. :unsure:
Probably not since this has been in the works for quite a while as part of their system refresh (replacing subscribers, etc.)