Baltimore County lowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

Now that the new P25 system is in place (much to the dismay of many scanner users) and Baltimore County has decent portable radio coverage again, it seems that low band fire paging has suffered. Has anyone else noticed serious degradation in 46.46mhz signal throughout the county? I'm listening on a base scanner from Stewartstown today, and I can hear Baltimore County on mutual aid 154.280 loud and clear (the transmitter is in Towson), but can't pick up fire paging on 46.46 at all.

As I make the commute into Baltimore, I can only typically pick up lowband on my minitor when I can actually visually see the Spookhill and Towson towers. Is anyone else noticing the same issues?

Is there any word from those on the inside of the BCoFD/BCoVFA about a replacement/upgrade of fire paging? I know all stations (career and volunteer) are going to MOSCAD for actual station activations, but the need for volunteer and staff officer paging will need to be addressed for the long term as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Perhaps their transmitter damage is recent Matt, but I would disagree. I have heard - albeit scratchy - the 46 mhz dispatch as recently as Friday from down on the DC Beltway near Greenbelt (that was this Friday). The audio seemed fine. Perhaps something happened in the last couple of days.

Too bad Terry DZZ is gone - I could ask him....Mike

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Loud & Clear in Northern AA Co.

Matt-

The signal sounds as good as ever in Curtis Bay--and that's with an inside antenna.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
In Bolton Hill, almost 5x5. But some transmissions are CSQ while others show PL 118.8....an anomaly?

dpm797

the transmissions should be CSQ; however sometimes the dispatchers voice or other back round factors can give a CSQ transmission a false PL. It is only read by the PL decoder on the scanner and does not effect the other units that normally receive that transmission. I notice it a lot on 154.280 if I have it searching for a PL tone....it will give me a variety depending on who is talking from what jurisdiction....so yes it is an anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.