Baltimore County on BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiffler308

I've had my BCD325P2 probably since they came out. I've always had issues with Baltimore County, to the point where I don't use it too much anymore. It keeps losing the control channel. I have the control channel frequency and alternates programmed and when I step to the control channel I get a site ID displayed. I have five bars of reception displayed, but it's very intermittent. One minute it will be scanning fine and then the next it will be finding control channel. While in scan, the reception bars flash on and off on the screen, which it doesn't do with other systems. While locked on a talkgroup it will do the same thing. I do not have this issue with other systems, seems to just be Baltimore County and just on this scanner. I am using the stock antenna and I have the single site programmed. Attenuator is off and my hold time is 0 seconds. Any ideas?

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Search the forums for simulcast distortion--sounds like what you're experiencing--too many towers sending the same signal at the same time. It wreaks havoc on a non-simulcast capable scanner.

Your only real options are to buy a simulcast capable unit--think SDS200 or SDS100, something like the Unication G5 or possibly try to isolate the closest tower's signal with a yagi to limit what your scanner recieves, so you get a cleaner signal.

But check the forums, first--there is ton of info out there about this.

Good luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've had my BCD325P2 probably since they came out. I've always had issues with Baltimore County, to the point where I don't use it too much anymore. It keeps losing the control channel. I have the control channel frequency and alternates programmed and when I step to the control channel I get a site ID displayed. I have five bars of reception displayed, but it's very intermittent. One minute it will be scanning fine and then the next it will be finding control channel. While in scan, the reception bars flash on and off on the screen, which it doesn't do with other systems. While locked on a talkgroup it will do the same thing. I do not have this issue with other systems, seems to just be Baltimore County and just on this scanner. I am using the stock antenna and I have the single site programmed. Attenuator is off and my hold time is 0 seconds. Any ideas?
In all likelihood, you're dealing with Simulcast Distortion. Heree's a map of the tower locations used:
1622432331846.png
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

While the 325p2 is a good unit, simulcast is a problem for it, and for most other scanners. The SDS series scanners can deal with simulcast, and the Unication pagers, like what lebrunmn mentioned, can also handle simulcast. Another possible option is the Blue Tail receiver, which apparently can handle simulcast (based on comments about the unit).
BlueTail Technlogies – BlueTail Technologies

For your 325P2, you would need to use something like a directional antenna, aimed at one specific tower, preferably in a direction that does not also favor additional sites in it's direction. You might also try "less" antenna, even a paper clip, to see if that will let one strong signal override the additional, out of sync, signals from additional towers. Since all of the towers on the simulcast site use the same set of frequencies, all transmitting exactly the same radio traffic at the same time, you can cure the problem by programming only a specific frequency set. The same ones are used at each location.

Stiffler308

Search the forums for simulcast distortion--sounds like what you're experiencing--too many towers sending the same signal at the same time. It wreaks havoc on a non-simulcast capable scanner.

Your only real options are to buy a simulcast capable unit--think SDS200 or SDS100, something like the Unication G5 or possibly try to isolate the closest tower's signal with a yagi to limit what your scanner recieves, so you get a cleaner signal.

But check the forums, first--there is ton of info out there about this.

Good luck.
In all likelihood, you're dealing with Simulcast Distortion. Heree's a map of the tower locations used:
View attachment 104387
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

While the 325p2 is a good unit, simulcast is a problem for it, and for most other scanners. The SDS series scanners can deal with simulcast, and the Unication pagers, like what lebrunmn mentioned, can also handle simulcast. Another possible option is the Blue Tail receiver, which apparently can handle simulcast (based on comments about the unit).
BlueTail Technlogies – BlueTail Technologies

For your 325P2, you would need to use something like a directional antenna, aimed at one specific tower, preferably in a direction that does not also favor additional sites in it's direction. You might also try "less" antenna, even a paper clip, to see if that will let one strong signal override the additional, out of sync, signals from additional towers. Since all of the towers on the simulcast site use the same set of frequencies, all transmitting exactly the same radio traffic at the same time, you can cure the problem by programming only a specific frequency set. The same ones are used at each location.
Thank you both, I've never heard of that but I imagine that is the issue. I am very close and in the middle of two of those towers. Even when it isn't searching for the control channel I miss transmissions like crazy. I have a non-affiliated XTS5000 that I can sit next to it and hear what I'm missing. My friends' Unications work flawlessly also. I'll do some experimentation and see if I can't work something out. Is this a hardware issue or is this something that a software update could solve in the future?

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
This is most definitely a hardware issue--no software updates will ever fix the problem... Before you spend a ton of cash on a new scanner, try what I did when I lived in Curtis Bay, and wanted to listen to Balto Co: pick up a cheap yagi, and try to point it at one tower. I actually set it up in my attic, and it took all of 10 mins to set up. Of course,
that will help you at home, but won't be practical if you want to take your scanner mobile.

There are always lots of used Unications and SDS units in the classifieds, here
DSC01495.JPGDSC01491.JPG

Stiffler308

This is most definitely a hardware issue--no software updates will ever fix the problem... Before you spend a ton of cash on a new scanner, try what I did when I lived in Curtis Bay, and wanted to listen to Balto Co: pick up a cheap yagi, and try to point it at one tower. I actually set it up in my attic, and it took all of 10 mins to set up. Of course,
that will help you at home, but won't be practical if you want to take your scanner mobile.

There are always lots of used Unications and SDS units in the classifieds, here
View attachment 104390View attachment 104391
Very good, I will look into that! Currently trying to leave my scanner on its side pointed at one tower. Same theory I suppose :LOL:

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Hey, I know you were kidding about laying down the scanner, but you may want to try something along those lines...

With simulcast distortion, any antenna fixes will center around trying to limit the conflicting amounts of signal that reach the scanner, so try turning on the scanner attenuation or you can "detune" the scanner by putting a non-matching antenna on it: instead of the 800 Mhz antenna you're probably using, try using an antenna tuned for another frequency band. Or maybe even a combo of those two items.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's something you can try without having to purchase anything. Heck, depending on the signal strength in your location, you might try taking the antenna off, altogether.

Good luck to you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I've had my BCD325P2 probably since they came out. I've always had issues with Baltimore County, to the point where I don't use it too much anymore. It keeps losing the control channel.
I am not far from you in the Monkton area. The only radios that will work at my location are the Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and the Unication G4/G5 pagers. If you decide to upgrade, I can help with the programming.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Very good, I will look into that! Currently trying to leave my scanner on its side pointed at one tower. Same theory I suppose :LOL:
If you are 'in the middle of two towers', you might try shielding the scanner from the one farthest from you, with something metallic. A baking pan or sheet, a large piece of foil, just something that might block the extraneous signals. Maybe it will work, maybe not. But it won't cost you anything but a little time to try it.

A directional antenna, like a yagi, may work if you can aim at a tower that's not in the same direction as a number of others. But even if that works, it may preclude you being able to monitor other channels & systems in your area.

In any event, whether a metal shield, or a yagi, work out, neither would be feasible if you are out mobile in the area. For that, you'd need either an SDS series scanner, a Unication pager, or the BlueTail receiver. The Unications work, but your handicap with them is that they can only monitor one site, on one system, with a limited number of talkgroups. If the only system you need is the Baltimore County one, then the one site/system is not an issue. I think that you are limited to 64 talkgroups, but I'll defer that answer to someone that owns one of the Unication pagers. (edit to add- tvengr could better answer the question on talkgroup limits on the Unication)

See the BlueTail forum for more information on that radio.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Unications work, but your handicap with them is that they can only monitor one site, on one system, with a limited number of talkgroups. If the only system you need is the Baltimore County one, then the one site/system is not an issue. I think that you are limited to 64 talkgroups, but I'll defer that answer to someone that owns one of the Unication pagers.
You are correct that there is a limit of 64 talkgroups per knob position. There are 8 knob positions per zone and 64 zones.. All of the counties surrounding Baltimore County use 700/800 MHz frequencies. You can place each county in a different knob position and change counties by turning the knob. If you are interested only in public safety systems, the G4 pager supports only 700/800 MHz frequencies and will save you money over the G5. The G5 has several models. It supports 700/800 and VHF OR 700/800 and UHF (Not both VHF and UHF). There are 4 UHF models depending on the frequency range. The Unication pagers support P25 Phase I and Phase II systems, but not Motorola Type II systems. The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners are far more versatile for scanning multiple systems without the 64 talkgroup limit and covers a much wider frequency range and scans other types of systems for anything else you wish to monitor.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
You are correct that there is a limit of 64 talkgroups per knob position. There are 8 knob positions per zone and 64 zones.. All of the counties surrounding Baltimore County use 700/800 MHz frequencies. You can place each county in a different knob position and change counties by turning the knob. If you are interested only in public safety systems, the G4 pager supports only 700/800 MHz frequencies and will save you money over the G5. The G5 has several models. It supports 700/800 and VHF OR 700/800 and UHF (Not both VHF and UHF). There are 4 UHF models depending on the frequency range. The Unication pagers support P25 Phase I and Phase II systems, but not Motorola Type II systems. The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners are far more versatile for scanning multiple systems without the 64 talkgroup limit and covers a much wider frequency range and scans other types of systems for anything else you wish to monitor.

The only other option for him is to make that massive leap and start using Harris XG100P or a mother moto and all their silly games radios to listen to Baltimore county. I have an apx7500 mounted in my van that I use when I am up that way from Monkey aka Montgomery and 2 Harris XG100P all band portable radios as well. I know where you can get the Harris all band both with Phase 1 and Phase 2 from a dealer who ordered them for a customer but the customer decided to go with something else instead so he is selling them for $900 a pop. Of course if you make the leap using professional grade radios you have to get the programming cables and the software as well. From what I have read about all the problems Uniden is having right now with there SDS 100 and SDS200 radios and the long wait times for repair to fix them, they are not worth the $$$ spent on them right now as well and I would not pay for one. I have found that by using the apx and harris radios ,the Harris is easier to program for non affiliate scan just by checkmark 3 boxes. Also there is the BK KNG and KNG2 which were made, thanks to a large customer that wanted to monitor the count next to it without radios affiliating, are very easy to program and work very well for non affiliate scan also. If anyone wants info pm me.

tvengr

Well Known Member
From what I have read about all the problems Uniden is having right now with there SDS 100 and SDS200 radios and the long wait times for repair to fix them, they are not worth the $$$ spent on them right now as well and I would not pay for one.
I have a SDS100 and three SDS200's and have never had a problem with any of them. They all have no problem scanning all of the simulcast systems I monitor. You have to be very careful programming 2-way radios. If you make a mistake, you may find yourself arrested, fined, or your radio bricked. Please check your PM.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS100 and three SDS200's and have never had a problem with any of them. They all have no problem scanning all of the simulcast systems I monitor. You have to be very careful programming 2-way radios. If you make a mistake, you may find yourself arrested, fined, or your radio bricked. Please check your PM.
Yes i know to make sure my radios are NOT AFFILIATING at all. I am very much aware what can happen if a public safety grade radio affiliates to a system. I have been doing radio programming for a couple of years now and also done some work for people down in VA,NC and southern MD. In my book the best radio to use if you are going to invest the $$$ is the KNG and KNG2 portable radio. It automatically greys out the any of the transmission boxes and it already has the box checkmarked on receive only and you can not change it at all unless you have the right keys to that system. One think I have noticed about the KNG radio is if you do not enter all the channel ID information, it will discover it for you and automatically it will discover the rest after you have entered the basic info. Also the large battery that is an option will last around 20 to 24hrs depending on how you use the radio as well. I have also found that the Harris XG100P is easier to program for non affiliate scan then mother moto as well.

Stiffler308

Question. What about squelch, audio decode level, or other scanner settings, will any of that affect simulcast? I'm trying my brain around these concepts but am coming up short

jlitwin

Premium Subscriber
I am not far from you in the Monkton area. The only radios that will work at my location are the Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and the Unication G4/G5 pagers. If you decide to upgrade, I can help with the programming.
I set mine with Main, East, West, Central and tac channels but keeps picking up and over riding with police band. i didnt even load police bands into the software. Any suggestions? Using Unication G5

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Import the extracted file into PPS.

Attachments

• GxPPS_V0.3.14.15 _BalCo G5 EZ V_210726.zip
    292.4 KB · Views: 4

jlitwin

Premium Subscriber
I believe I may have figured it out. But on tab 5 trying to click save I get [No. 1] All protocol is \"No Setting\", Please check again. I cant seem to locate where to correct this.

Give this file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Import the extracted file into PPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.